shot my new 7mm LRM today and the brass is hard to eject help

We've seen some of the brass come off the line with a neck thickness that is a couple thousands too thick. This makes a loaded neck with too little clearance to chamber neck. We've traced this back in the production process to one of the draw punch dies. New tooling and qc documentation is in place. For brass that has already been manufactured, we are CNC machining all the necks to ensure correct specifications. If you suspect that you may have loaded ammo that is out of spec, measure a loaded round at the neck shoulder junction. If you are over 0.318 please contact us for warranty on your product.

We have found two distinct accuracy nodes in the LRM, one at 3100 fps and one at 2975. When we adopted the standard chambering and 7LRM name we adjusted the throat to work with the 180 Berger Hybrid. That combination has not allowed us to load the faster velocity without high pressure. 3050 is achievable, but 2975 to 3000 shoots bug holes all day--its pretty hard to do something different.

We bought these guns with the almost promise of 3100 fps with the 180 hybrid and it is not happening. I know I cannot get 3050 with your ammo and 3100 was the velocity printed at the time.

We bought these guns with the almost promise of 3100 fps with the 180 hybrid and it is not happening. I know I cannot get 3050 with your ammo and 3100 was the velocity printed at the time.

Glad to lengthen the throat if you want to handload VLDs. We will load ammo to a max of 65,000 psi. In the Hybrid chamber we can't get it. Call me if you would like to discuss. 307.762.1406

I read this with some concern:

First, I don't know any quality gunsmith who would send out a custom rifle unfired.
If there is no factory ammo available then you make the brass from a parent case and fire form it. That is the responsibility of the custom rifle builder.

Second, I know of no gunsmith or manufacture who carries liability insurance that would allow an untested/unfired new barrel out of his shop.

Third, on the chance a gunsmith did let a untested/fired rifle out of his shop, it should have had a good visual inspection with a bore scope. The ring you saw was from a loaded up reamer full of swarf or a defective reamer. If the chamber was cleaned up using the same reamer that would lead a person to believe it was a loaded up reamer.

Everyone who plans on building a custom rifle on a wildcat cartridge can learn from your experience.
Nat Lambeth

First, I don't know any quality gunsmith who would send out a custom rifle unfired.
If there is no factory ammo available then you make the brass from a parent case and fire form it. That is the responsibility of the custom rifle builder.

Second, I know of no gunsmith or manufacture who carries liability insurance that would allow an untested/unfired new barrel out of his shop.

Third, on the chance a gunsmith did let a untested/fired rifle out of his shop, it should have had a good visual inspection with a bore scope. The ring you saw was from a loaded up reamer full of swarf or a defective reamer. If the chamber was cleaned up using the same reamer that would lead a person to believe it was a loaded up reamer.

Everyone who plans on building a custom rifle on a wildcat cartridge can learn from your experience.
Nat Lambeth

Just want everyone reading this post to have a clear understanding. Gunwerks did not perform any of the work under discussion. We supplied the reamer.

I am glad to see GunWerks finally on this forum and explaining the problems associated with the brass. I guess better late then never. It is my belief that had you at least e-mailed everyone one that had purchased brass or a 7 lrm you wouldn't be on here trying to do damage control. Problems are going to arise now and again. I think customers and future customers would have kept a very high opinion of your company had you been the one to inform them. Hope the problems are fixed... JMO dgarrett

We've seen some of the brass come off the line with a neck thickness that is a couple thousands too thick. This makes a loaded neck with too little clearance to chamber neck. We've traced this back in the production process to one of the draw punch dies. New tooling and qc documentation is in place. For brass that has already been manufactured, we are CNC machining all the necks to ensure correct specifications. If you suspect that you may have loaded ammo that is out of spec, measure a loaded round at the neck shoulder junction. If you are over 0.318 please contact us for warranty on your product.

We have found two distinct accuracy nodes in the LRM, one at 3100 fps and one at 2975. When we adopted the standard chambering and 7LRM name we adjusted the throat to work with the 180 Berger Hybrid. That combination has not allowed us to load the faster velocity without high pressure. 3050 is achievable, but 2975 to 3000 shoots bug holes all day--its pretty hard to do something different.

Do you have some of that too thick brass to sell to people that would rather do their own neck turning?

Glad to lengthen the throat if you want to handload VLDs. We will load ammo to a max of 65,000 psi. In the Hybrid chamber we can't get it. Call me if you would like to discuss. 307.762.1406

You have different configurations of your reamer available? And can you elaborate on what you've said here please?

I just want to chime in to give my .02 on my 7LRM experience with GunWerks. It's been some time since I shipped them my Stiller TAC 300 action and Broughton barrel to be chambered in 7LRM. They did an amazing job with a quick turnaround and informed me at the time that I would have to take the highside off the brass necks....I believe it was hydroformed 375 Ruger brass. They were shooting the 180VLD's since the 180 Hybrids were not being made yet. Mike informed me that it would shoot "lights out" and boy does it ever.
I keep hearing about all these "problems" with the 7LRM, but my experience with the originators of this fine round is nothing short of amazing.
Shoot Straight, Blacktail Sniper.

I gave up on hydro forming brass. I have some universal form dies that I got from Butch Lambert (ShadeTree Engineering) several years ago. With a little time and patients you can form about any cartridge you want.
Nat Lambeth

+1 on what Moombaskier said. I got my 7LRM up and running just a couple of weeks ago and it's one of the best shooting rifles I own. Was out yesterday with some 168 Bergers....shot a 5" four shot group on some steel at 900 yds. Shoots consistant 3/8" 5 shot groups from the bench at 100yds. I had the rifle built locally with a reamer from Gunwerks....it's a Defiant action, 29" Bartlien bbl with Sendaro contour, HS Precision stock, Nightforce ATACR scope, Jewel trigger. I love this rifle. Going to try some 180 Hybrids today. Will mention that I did turn the necks on the Gunwerks brass to .016 wall thickness after reading about the brass issues. I have had no pressure problems so far using 168 Bergers and up to 73.5 gr of Retumbo and H1000 with bullets seated to within .005 of the lands.

Nat Lambeth

Score High gunsmithing, one of the most reputable around, often does not.

Holdinsteady,

What velocity did you get with those 168s and 73.5 gr of Retumbo? That is almost exactly the load I use with a 7 Rem mag and the 168 Berger classic hunters. ( 26" barrel, 73 gr ,vel 3121 fps)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts