Shot a small Elephant with my EDGE !

Most of them are around the 500 lb mark maybe 6 tops, but this bloke broke the mould. I'd say he would have pushed 700. He was so big he was ugly !

DUH

He might be big and he might be ugly but that is one very nice big head that I know you took ethically and WITHOUT the use of a spotlight or any other alleged illegal means. Pity about that earlier bit of misunderstanding ruining your story by one of our fellow members who should get his facts right before blabbing off.
BTW Also saw a couple of stags last week with Norm.
Nothing as good as yours.
Well done Simon. Catch you in the bush sometime.

Nice work again, DUH! Congrats! That's a pile 'o meat!

thomo... You've a very short time on this site to start what you started in such a disrespectful and public way...if you had questions, pm the op. 'Evening' or 'night'...I may or may not use those terms interchangably here in the US and being from NZ (Edit: whoops, Australia...), DUH may use terms differently than we do. If you'll notice, that's an NF scope w/o any kind of night vision capability. I think you owe DUH an apology and a public one at that. JMHO

It's also illegal to spotlight or shine any sort of torch on one..

Thomo is correct in every way, and due to the original wording it says..
The night was perfect after a couple of weeks of high winds and rain, finally I had a good wind to sit this clearing that would offer shots from 200 -700 yards.
, making it sound like night time, I also got the same impression as Thomo.

I'm from Victoria, also, hour and half from prime Sambar country.
No offence mate, but i wouldn't bother commenting about laws and hunting deer in Victoria with NV/Spotlights when your from Washington.. JMHO

Thomo may look like bit of a newbie to LRH forum, but elsewhere his highly regarded.

Cheers..

c'mon everybody drop this night shooting nonsense the guy made a great shot in difficult conditions and harvested a super trophy not to mention a big ol pile of meat.

here in the uk we can shoot 30mins before dawn and after dusk , you need to go through a lot of hoops to get a night shooting license.

I've taken photos of deer shot in the evening perfectly legally that look like night especially in woodland?

shall we all just let it go? we are not the law enforcers!

Guys I have hunted with DUH many times and know his ethical standards are very high. His choice of words may not have been the best but he is definitely not a daymaker or poacher and has helped in the conviction of an impressive list of those who do break the law. He was clearly hunting in the afternoon waiting for the deer to emerge from the bush to feed as is widely practiced across Victoria.

What a joke come on guys one of the greatest things about this site is the total lack of this childish crap.
Simon is the last person in Vic that would shoot an animal under the light. I mean the guy picks and chooses wich stags he will take a season and usually after spending hrs watching them and weighing up what's best. The rest of us mere mortals just take what steps out and carries antlers.

If you want to argue about it go back to the Aussie forums they love wizzen in the wind.

It's also illegal to spotlight or shine any sort of torch on one..

Thomo is correct in every way, and due to the original wording it says.., making it sound like night time, I also got the same impression as Thomo.

I'm from Victoria, also, hour and half from prime Sambar country.
No offence mate, but i wouldn't bother commenting about laws and hunting deer in Victoria with NV/Spotlights when your from Washington.. JMHO

Thomo may look like bit of a newbie to LRH forum, but elsewhere his highly regarded.

Cheers..

OK...:rolleyes:

If it is always your first impression to interpret one word 'night' to mean someone is doing something illegal...have it your way. I've got a picture of a bear I just killed and it's dark when the picture was taken--are you going to accuse me of poaching as well? Perhaps you can assume and intrepret the situation accurately from the picture? C'mon... Seems reasonable to me to give someone some benefit of the doubt and/or ask some private question for clarification before spouting of in a public forum.

One reason I reacted the way I did is because this forum is typically void of that kind of 'taking a swipe' at somebody. You and your buddy thomo are going off 'half-cocked'. Admit it and move on...

Edit: DUH, I apologize if my part in this little discussion has taken away from the due satisfaction and enjoyment you should be experiencing from shooting this animal.

Last edited:
RR,

Thanks for the kind words mate.

Whats the latest on the new 338 project ?

DUH

I'd say looking at having the finished rifle in my hands with fully developed loads in November sometime.
It's been in the making since Feb this year, but will be worth the wait when it is finally finished.
That will then give me three long range rifles to play with.
Bought a Premier Heritage scope for it. Will run a comparison test between the Premier scope and the NightForce scope as to light gathering abilities of each scope as I lost out on a good stag earlier this year in fading light with the NF scope.

DUH, First off, Nice trophy.
I gotta admit that I too am a bit dissapointed that I didnt see an elephant.....
The only legal mumbo-jumbo that went thru my mind was "wow, there must be somewhere in the world that its legal to smoke an elephant with a round smaller than .375, cool! sign me up....." Then I saw your pics and I am still in awe! Very nice trophy indeed, tho not quite what I expected:D

On the not so great side of this fine post, Im 100% with Jmden on this one! This "new guy" for lack of other choice words, should DEFFINATELY APPOLOGISE!!!!! Wha a crock of *&^% to accuse someone of something with no proof whatsoever, and to do it on a public forum....... does anybody even bother to check the source anymore?? I seriously hope the mods handle this guy in a not so polite way!

I dont know of an L/R/H member who would stand for anyone taking game illegaly, let alone, post about it. So for this "&*^*^&$^%$#&^% to accuse a member like DUH just infuriates me! WHO DOES THAT!!!!!????!!!
Guess its ok to publicly accuse somebody of something illegal, then just stay quiet about it and not have to own up to it huh............... I seriously hope the mods CAN this guy IMMEDIATELY!_____WELL, RIGHT AFTER HE APOLOGISES, IF he even has the guts to! wich I highly doubt!

DUH, Im sorry I ranted on your post, but I firmly belive in sticking up for our own.
I hope I have not incroached in a bad way, or taken away from a great post. Congrats again on the great trophy!

DUH,
Great write up and nice stag.
Now get back home and look after the kids and give us mere mortals a chance. LOL.

You should have dropped in for a cuppa when you were at the Moe Gun Club. Could have tried out my Edge at that fire break you spotted. Maybe next time...................:D Luke and his mate shot a stag on that same break last Sunday at 4 in the arvo.

Nice Gilly suit to.

Nice one DUH!

Looks like he is going back 10 to 11 year old big animal?

All the bits are here for my Edge build including the Manners T4 here and we just need Geoff to get back from the Comm Games. The last month has been lost but he is world class full bore competitior. Bill has been winning a few comps too with his 7 SAUM.

I wouldnt let little hiccups & things like this worry you.. I've been seeing a few myself and had wished that the Edge was ready to go.. more than once!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.