Shot 800 this evening

remingtonman_25_06

It was raining and blowing about 10mph the whole day today. My dad bought a new bike, and so did I about 2 weeks ago. There 4 stroke racing 250 dirt bikes. I got a honda, he got a suzuki. We were suppose to go break his in today and ride, but it woulda sucked in the rain. Sooo anyways, I decided I would run and get my 1150 yard gong, which is 14x14" square and put it at my 800 yard spot so we could start practicing with our 270's and 7 mags and 25-06's etc... 1150 is just to far for those rifles with our leupold vx2, 6-18 targets. They get us to 800 real nicely though. Anyways, I was shooting my 270 with 140g sbt's at 3050fps. They group right at 2" at 300 yards for 3 shots. My dad brought his newer tikka in 7 Mag with the 150g btips going 2960fps. This load shot .4" at 100 yards for 4 shots with a maximum spread of 7fps!! I dialed up the necesary adjustments for my .270 win and let one go. My dad said it was low. I could see where my bullet had scuffed up the earth beneath the target. I clicked up 4 clicks and shot again. This time the 2nd bullet hit right at the base of my target. I clicked up 3 more clicks and let the 3rd sierra go. THe wind also seemed to be a tad stronger, was blowing 10 mph according to my brunton windmeter, but was almost coming straight at us, but just at enough angle that it would blow the bullets to the right. I put 4 clicks left for windage. What a resounding wack the 3rd shot left!! I proceeded to shoot 1 more and again heard that nice wack! Now since I knew where I had to hold, I was feeling real good about that 270 on a deer at 800 yards!! I needed to be up 7 more clicks from what the computer spitted out, so there is no substitute for getting out in the field and actually shooting. It was my dads turn now. His first shot was a little low. I told him to go up 2 clicks and he shot right at the base of it his 2nd shot. I told him to go up 2 more clicks and heard that nice wack. He shot the 4th shot and hit about 1ft to the right. Dont know what happened there? Maybe he pulled or we got a gust of wind. I wanted to shoot another couple shots so I did. My next 2 shots I kept the same elevation/windage setting and banged that gong 2 more times! I was 4-6, but all in all, it took 2 shots to get on that gong, so I would say I was 4-4 once I knew where I had to be dialed in. Not to shabby for a bone stock used rem 700. My dad shot 2 more shots and his 5th shot was a hit. His 6th shot was again, about 1ft to the right. He was happy he hit it 2 times. He is not into LR shooting as much as me and when I told him we were going to be shooting 800 yards with the bipods he was just like "**** thats a long ways, dont we needa bench or something." I was like nope, field practice. Pretend its a deer or elk over there and lay prone. I was glad he hit it a couple times. Gives him some confidence. I only have 4 more shells left with that load, and I will be switching bullets. I bought new winchester brass, and I'll have to change loads anyways, so I am thinking I want to shoot the 150g sst, or 150g sgk. Better thump and wind bucking ability for those 800 yard shots. My gun does not seem to shoot nosler bullets as well as the sierras or hornadys, something about the jacket material. I want to shoot the 150g sst because of the higher bc and plastic tip, but am unsure because of the quality control and accuracy over time. With sierras 150g sgk, I know that wont be a problem. There quality control is top notch, but I"ll sacrifice a little in BC and maybe accuracy downrange. I dont know, I'm sure I'll figure something out. What do you guys think about shooting a muley out to 800 yards with a 270?? The energy is about 900 lbs, and velocity is about 1700fps. I know its on the low end of things, but I feel with a shoulder or behind the shoulder shot, they surely wont go to far. Your guys opinions?

I found 4 bullets in the wet sand at 800 yards, figured I would post the pics. 3 of them are the 150g btips from my dads 7 mag, the other 1 was one of the 140g sgk's. From the looks of these bullets, I would pick my gameking over the btips. Those dang btips just lose there lead core no matter how far the distance is. They weighed about 63g's, my 140g weighed in at 131g for 90% retention.
sb232o.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.