My not so nice surprise this evening.

Bob Wright

We just saw 3 of these in the White Tank Park hiking yesterday with wife and grandkids. Now I had #4 tonight. I walked right within striking distance when he let out a buzz. I said naughty, horrible words.
It was rainy and chilly tonight so this guy slithered up on the warm concrete.
Fire Dept. came and picked him up quickly.
I seen hundreds of these things but at my house, well that got my blood going.
Maybe 4 foot minimum. Western Diamondback.

Attachments

• 20230315_194056.jpg
    20230315_194056.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 196
Big head on that guy. Is that a western diamondback as well?

Yes a baby one, only 18" long. Second baby we kill in the neighborhood in the last 2 years.

Got bit by one back in Easter of 2016, not fun. I was lucky though, she got me as I was passing by her gathering firewood, woke her up I think because the rattler never made a sound. Most of the venom was released as I pulled my leg, and it dripped down my leg. At first I thought it was a prickly pear, there is a lot of them in that area and with tall grass, but then the rattler went off, and said, oh boy! Time to go.

My nephews and brother in law were behind me, and then my shepherd started barking, so backed up quickly and off to the hospital we went.

This picture is when I got loaded in to the ambulance, about 15 minutes after the bite, and they marked it to keep track of it.

20160326_190841.jpg

Yes a baby one, only 18" long. Second baby we kill in the neighborhood in the last 2 years.

Got bit by one back in Easter of 2016, not fun. I was lucky though, she got me as I was passing by her gathering firewood, woke her up I think because the rattler never made a sound. Most of the venom was released as I pulled my leg, and it dripped down my leg. At first I thought it was a prickly pear, there is a lot of them in that area and with tall grass, but then the rattler went off, and said, oh boy! Time to go.

My nephews and brother in law were behind me, and then my shepherd started barking, so backed up quickly and off to the hospital we went.

This picture is when I got loaded in to the ambulance, about 15 minutes after the bite, and they marked it to keep track of it.

View attachment 447814
Oh my!! That is scary. Recovery was good I hope?

We just saw 3 of these in the White Tank Park hiking yesterday with wife and grandkids. Now I had #4 tonight. I walked right within striking distance when he let out a buzz. I said naughty, horrible words.
Well they are very dangerous,but they sure taste good!

Snowing and 28 degrees here today in CO-- though it was 72 and sunny yesterday--- most of our rattlers are in the plains here (prairie rattler) below 9500'.

Had a 4 footer show up at my cabin in Rye right in front of my BBQ while fixing some steaks a few years back. He made a nice addition to the grill.

Last edited:
Oh my!! That is scary. Recovery was good I hope?

I share the same sentiments as Bob and hope you fully recovered. Is the cost of the antivenom treatment as expensive as I have read? I need to buy gators or snake boots.

Thanks, recovery was just a few days, could not walk on it for a couple days, the pain was bad, but only when I walked. Thank God it was not too bad.

It's time for a Rattlesnake Roundup. Here in Florida they did it every year and thinned them out real quick. I don't think they do that no more. Hardly ever see a rattlesnake in Florida , now!!! They would fry them up and have a big cookout. It was great.

Last edited:

Recent Posts