SHORT ACTIONS ARE STUPID!!

Witnessing this trend towards Short Actions when we already have a Standard Action makes absolutely no sense. Why would I deliberately limit the amount of powder room or bullet length in my Rifle. Instead I only care what the minimum case length that will reliably feed in my Standard Action. Recently I have decided to attempt a long Action WSM budget Rifle so that I can let the Bullet hang way out of the case. Short Actions just can't do that. Instead Manufacturers should alter dimensions of "Short Actions" to the length required for 6.5x55 or 7mm Mauser. We've also witnessed these intentional Castration in AR15 & AR10 Military Rifles where short OAL diminishes the capability of the Rifles. All this over a few ounces that can cost 500 Yards.

The Mini and Super Short actions must REALLY get you wound up!!

Standard length actions are so stupid! Lapua or bigger only!!

I don't care if it's short or long just as long as it hits the target that I kinda point my gun at like they do in the movies, no aiming required, and as long as it has that NEVER ending magazine full of ammo 5000 rounds without reloading would be awesome. you have your dream gun and I have mine. Oh yea and I want it to weigh less than a pound becasue I am to lazy to carry a real gun here in the Mountains of Montana. ;-) Hope you all have a Great day.

A lot of what is new is just marketing plans to keep people buying new guns, powder, brass, bullets, stocks, and such. The 6.5 Creedmore has caused a lot of buying. I don't have or need one but it is fun to watch they hype. Now there are lots of very good 6.5mm bullets around for every cartridge of that caliber. 30 Caliber has possibly the most bullets of any caliber for everyone's needs. It is all about marketing: buy new stuff and enjoy!!! I just change barrels and bolt faces on my Savage 110s so I can shoot everything from a 22-250 right up to a 375 RUM and a Remington 700 for my 416/300 RUM barrel. But I do have a short action Ruger American (308 rifle for guests) and a Remington 700 short action for my 358 Winchester: great deer killer. I set headspace on all of my rifles using barrel nuts, but that is another story. So many choices...

Winchester got it right with the M70 pre-64s. Just saying.
I have two Pre 64, M 70s with match barrels chambered in .243 and .308. They have full length magazine boxes. Both have slots for loading with a stripper clip, and both feed perfectly. The only "penalty" for the long actions is a few ounces of weight. Immaterial given the target barrels and stocks. But...my .243 and .308 50-300 yard hunting rifles are set up for shorter bullets and run fine in short actions. In any custom build, you can pick the action for the purpose intended. -Ed

Long or short aside, I wish for magnum diameters, for larger barrel tenons. While I'm at it I'll ask for finer threading, barrel nut & and coned breech.
Some for greater chamber and breech support. I would like this even for smaller cartridges (like 223).

I built a 26wssm Imp with a magnum single shot action to ensure I my loads would leave behind all who had failed with wssms. It worked.
And with it, I noticed that while the cartridge is merchandised for short actions, it is not with heavy for 26cal bullets. I had to have the ports extended to eject loaded rounds. So I cannot imagine a wsm cartridge in a short action.

Side note: I do not use Remington actions. Never liked them.
So if 'long' or 'short' is purely based on Remington, then my input here may be worthless..
I am with you about Remington actions (I have a couple that fell into my hands). The Mauser extractor is what I look for though they are hard to find at a reasonable price. I modified both of my Remington 700s to use the M-16 extractor and I use REMAGE barrel nuts on them.

That new 6mm arc is a sweet cartridge, so I'm glad the industry isn't taking your advice. Fits in a mini action. I'm putting together a 300wsm as we speak, and it will shoot 190gr copper solids that will do amazing things, and do them out of a 24" barrel. If you can get the same performance out of a rig that is almost 3" shorter overall, why wouldn't you?

Witnessing this trend towards Short Actions when we already have a Standard Action makes absolutely no sense. Why would I deliberately limit the amount of powder room or bullet length in my Rifle. Instead I only care what the minimum case length that will reliably feed in my Standard Action. Recently I have decided to attempt a long Action WSM budget Rifle so that I can let the Bullet hang way out of the case. Short Actions just can't do that. Instead Manufacturers should alter dimensions of "Short Actions" to the length required for 6.5x55 or 7mm Mauser. We've also witnessed these intentional Castration in AR15 & AR10 Military Rifles where short OAL diminishes the capability of the Rifles. All this over a few ounces that can cost 500 Yards.
Makes sense to us hunters more than to the shooters. I think there is room for both actions.

Just an opinion, but with your theory, why not make 50 bmg or 20mm length shooters and forget standard/ long action also. I have several SA rifles and mostly because I just wanted the particular caliber. I love my 308s and my all time favorite SA 220 swift. Why? cant tell you that, just because. Yes they are shorter and lighter than my 300 mag and shorter than my 50 bmg but in certain situations they fit the bill. I'm not a big fan of reasoning over efficiency. Yea I get it, but I love my 300PRC and it groups better than any of my SA rifles but it does weigh about 12 pounds on a diet, and my 45-110 tosses 550 grain bullets at 1450fps into MOA groups off of sticks. Not real efficient round but a blast to shoot. Bottom line, like all calibers we just want another reason to buy a new gun. At least that's my reason.

Just an opinion, but with your theory, why not make 50 bmg or 20mm length shooters and forget standard/ long action also. I have several SA rifles and mostly because I just wanted the particular caliber. I love my 308s and my all time favorite SA 220 swift. Why? cant tell you that, just because. Yes they are shorter and lighter than my 300 mag and shorter than my 50 bmg but in certain situations they fit the bill. I'm not a big fan of reasoning over efficiency. Yea I get it, but I love my 300PRC and it groups better than any of my SA rifles but it does weigh about 12 pounds on a diet, and my 45-110 tosses 550 grain bullets at 1450fps into MOA groups off of sticks. Not real efficient round but a blast to shoot. Bottom line, like all calibers we just want another reason to buy a new gun. At least that's my reason.
I wanted to comment essentially the same thing. With the originally posters logic, everyone should just shoot 50bmg because why should you shoot anything less? People have no common sense anymore and a blatant need to just spill out any thought that comes to their head without thinking and its made apparent once again by the original post.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.