SHORT ACTIONS ARE STUPID!!

25SST will outrun a .25-06 Rem, or right with a .25-06AI.
6.5SS will outrun a 6.5-06 Rem, or right with a 6.5-06AI.
7SS will outrun a .280 Rem, or right with a .280AI.

Your point is moot unless you jump way up in case capacity. But then you also jump up in recoil, and lose a lot of barrel life.

You could shorten and neck a .300NM or 50BMG case down to 7mm and run with a 28 Nosler too.
But that would be stupid....

I think Sako made 5 action lengths in the past. Possibly pre 90s.
They were optimised for use with a certain group of cartridges.
What's changed is not the action length requirements for standard cartridges but short magnums and long projectiles for newer cartridges that evolved with technology and advances in powders and ballistics.
On a budget Tikka can easily accommodate action lengths etc.
If you need something else or are building on a premium action then go for it.

There are lots of cartridges that function very well in a short action.

If a guy's cartridge is too long for his action, ...well I don't think it's the action that's stupid!

But yes, I get the OP's point. Long bullets sometimes make ammo that doesn't fit the factory magazine. This problem is not limited to short actions, however.

I just built a 22 Creedmoor on a Post Win M70 Classic Stainless action that had been a factory 270 Win. Now a 7-twist .224 barrel. Pretty sure my mag length is more than sufficient. I did have to add a coil spring under the back end of the 270 magazine follower in order to get the 22 Creedmoor cartridges to feed properly.

Only used this action because that 270 Win had been in my gun safe for 18 yrs without a single shot fired. Gonna see a lot more 'action' now.

The "more action" part was a coincidence in this thread... :)

Last edited:
This may come as a shock to some, but there are still people shooting 10 twists with bullets like Partitions and Pro Hunters. Crazy right? I know. Short action Shmort action I say.
Not crazy at all. Pretty common hunting bullets just not Long Range hunting bullets which IS what this forum is. Still, I'm pretty sure short to mid range hunters are more than welcome as I read many threads here. Long Range Hunting forum kinda tends to enlist that group primarily. Short actions are in full force today. No changes at least in my neck of the woods

Not crazy at all. Pretty common hunting bullets just not Long Range hunting bullets which IS what this forum is. Still, I'm pretty sure short to mid range hunters are more than welcome as I read many threads here. Long Range Hunting forum kinda tends to enlist that group primarily. Short actions are in full force today. No changes at least in my neck of the woods
Exactly my point. There are way more folks out there that don't read this forum and are more than happy with a 150 grain Hot Core from a 308. For a huge percentage of the rifle buying public the standard short action version of "pick a cartridge" is capable beyond their ability. If they feel the 308 just can't haul the freight, they can roll with the 30-06. And so it goes with most of the gun buying public. We are a long range forum, but the folks on this site don't buy enough model 70s to keep USRAC in business, even with their perfect standard length action (case and point). That said my next 6.5 PRC will be on a long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.