sort of stupid RCBS question

Silverback7,

Reloading 7.62 what? I'f it's a 7.62x51 NATO (a 308 Win), the shellplate or shell holders will be the same as the 45 ACP. I'f it's a 7.62x39mm, a 7.62x53R, or a host of others, it'll need something different. We need a bit more information here to help you out.

The Rock Chucker is not a progressive press, but regardless, I don't load 7.62/308 on a progressive.

Loading a rifle cartridge is not the same as a pistol round. For example, there are issues with lubrication, including inside neck lubrication wherein clean-up can't be well attended to while the case is on a progressive press. These issues can be worked around, but since my goal is to load for accuracy, I don't see the point unless one just wants a lot of ammo for blasting.

You'll need a set of rifle dies, and other than that...the shell holders are the same for either method.

TC

Whatever I have its an RCBS Progressive.
ICAN-Sorry I did not know any better....Ft Bragg is closing its stable 40 horses are being auctioned

Kevin. Nato 7.62x51 I guess I already have the plate then. I would assume that there are better dies out there I just have to know what I need to order.

Dave,

No problem. The RCBS dies are fine, but a lot of this just comes down to personal preference. The real question here come down to what you're loading for. If it's for an autoloader, you'll definately need to full length size (always, everytime, without fail), and may want to consider Small Base dies. They may or may not be needed, but won't hurt a thing if you choose to use them "just in case." Top Cat mentioned issues with lubrication, and that's a fact. I personally load a lot of my competition ammo on progressives, but I do the sizing, trimming and other prep work on a single stage before the cases ever get near a progressive press. In essence, all I'm doing there is priming, charging and seating, so you might call it a semi-progressive operation.

What kind of rifle are you loading for here? Might be able to make some other suggestions with a bit more background.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts