stupid question re: twist and bullets 223

travelhunter

sorry guys
i have 2 223's a les baer ar that is 1 in 9 twist and EATS 69 gr hpbt over 26 gr of Varget i mean 1 hole 100 yard groups
i have a weatherby vanguard that i THINK is 1 in 12 and is fine with the 69's but seems to really love the 62's over the same 26 g Varget
am i missing something
please explain without abusing me too much

I'm surprised you can shoot the 69's through a 1:12 twist barrel. I had a Rem 700 SPS with a heavy barrel with the same twist and the heaviest weight it would group was a 55gr.
A 1:9 twist should be good up to 75gr HPBT . Probably not good enough for the long pointy VLD's though. I have a 1:8 twist barrel to shoot the 80gr Berger VLD's.

I think you need to check the twist in your Vangard. I had a 223 Rem Savage bolt rifle, can't remember the model because it was over 20 years ago. I assume it had a 12 twist and the heaviest bullet it would shoot was the Sierra 63 gr that is a semi point. It really shot the 50 gr Sierra Blitz with AA2230. I killed untold ground hogs with this combo. Regretted the day I let it go but it gave a friend some good times. We had ground hog hunted together for a number of years. He had a heart attack and with the pacemaker etc. afterward Doc told him he could not shoot anything that had much if any recoil. I sold him the 223 with the provision that if something happened to him I could get the rifle back. He died a few years latter and when I went to ask his widow about the rifle latter she said that one of his nephews had gotten all his rifles. He had sold the rifle by the time I contacted him.

I have a blaser with a 1-10" twist and I have really good results with SMK 69gr. A friend is shooting 77g SMKs from the same barrel. Usually the bullets are stabilised, but you loose a good portion of BC... I would stick with lighter bullets with 1-12" twist.

i have a weatherby vanguard that i THINK is 1 in 12 and is fine with the 69's but seems to really love the 62's over the same 26 g Varget
am i missing something
You got it right, 12twist vs 9twist. That's the way it works. In fact, I think you are lucky and good. :D

I have 3 Vanguards. My 223 will only digest 40grns V-Max over a case stuffed full of Benchmark. I went through over 1000 rounds to find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.