stupid question

Daniel Ludwig

does anyone know if there is a such thing as a .300 STW or something of that nature?? everyone reccomended to me going with a 7 STW and i was just wondering if there was a 30 caliber version available?? i feel like a moron for asking this.
thanks

I am pretty sure some wildcater made a 30 cal by necking up a 7 STW case, or some improved version of it. God only knows what he called it. Why not check out a .300 RUM? A lot of guys on this board have them, or improved versions of them.

Yes - It has been done - sort of.

It's called the 300Wby mag. The 300Wby case and the STW case (8mm mag) have nearly identical case capacities. A 30STW should be ballistically similar to the 300Wby.

Incidently, I'm sure the 30STW has been done. I've also seen the 257STW, 6.5STW, 7STW and the 8mm Rem mag which is the original case for the STW series of cartridges.

There are soooo many cartridges available today that it is unlikely that an unexplored niche remains. Most experimenters are merely reinventing the wheel.

I shoot a 7STW and really like the cartidge. It should be adequate for most game up to moose. The 300's are good if you intend on shooting the 220-240 grain bullets.

Just my 2 cents - VH

That is basically what the 300 Jarrett is isn't it?

I believe the 300 Baer is somewhat similar as well.

THe 300 WBY is also the same thing but with the Wby shoulder configuration.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

its called the 30x8mm rem. mag.-but you guys are right there are some different versions-one being the 300ackley.which Bill

Shehane used this year to win all kinds of stuff-my-2-dave

I agree with demar, unless your reloading or are deeply in love with the idea of owning a wildcat, go with either a 300 RUM or a 300 Weatherby. Both fullfill the performance characteristics that your looking at in the 30/8mm Remington, and both can be had in production rifles, with factory ammo to boot. But, if you really want a wildcat, I'm not one to rain on anybody's parade. Owning and reloading for something unique is more than half the fun.

I would think looking at the cases ...I have a 300 Jarret loaded with 180 that the 300 RUM would hang right with it and may even out perform..actually IMHO I really think the 300 RUM would be better less hassle fireforming and I thing just as it sits it will beat the Jarret hands down. I know a local smith in town here and he shoots a Jarret and loves it ..and tells me I"m crazy but man that 300 RUM is a BIG case

anybody really know on this particular comparison
smile.gif

The .300 Jarrett is based on the same case, the Rem 8mm mag. The case is necked down and fire formed to an improved configuration I believe the case has a 30 degree shoulder. I've been shooting one for 9 years. Great round, but it seems unnecessary to me with the .300 RUM now available.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.