Stupid newbie cleaning questions

CleanShot

Hello

I'm a dumb newbie without a mentor so please excuse my extreme stupidity. I just bought a Franchi Affinity, Savage Mark II .22LR, and Savage 220 slug gun. I'm in the process of getting some cleaning supplies/equipment. Thus far all I have is some Boresnakes for each of the 3 different barrels I have and a FrogLube FrogTube. I'm now in the process of trying to get a rod, jag, and brass brush.

So here go my questions:
1) Am I on the right path? Do I need anything else?
2) What brand of rod should I be getting? Tipton? Pro Shot? Dewey?
3) Do I need different rods for the different gauges/calibers?
4) Should I opt for a one piece rod or does it not matter?
5) Is there a good guide you recommend?

Thanks very much
Sam

Hello

I'm a dumb newbie without a mentor so please excuse my extreme stupidity. I just bought a Franchi Affinity, Savage Mark II .22LR, and Savage 220 slug gun. I'm in the process of getting some cleaning supplies/equipment. Thus far all I have is some Boresnakes for each of the 3 different barrels I have and a FrogLube FrogTube. I'm now in the process of trying to get a rod, jag, and brass brush.

So here go my questions:
1) Am I on the right path? Do I need anything else?
2) What brand of rod should I be getting? Tipton? Pro Shot? Dewey?
3) Do I need different rods for the different gauges/calibers?
4) Should I opt for a one piece rod or does it not matter?
5) Is there a good guide you recommend?

Thanks very much
Sam

Sam,

Please don't take offense but the custom search tool on the top right hand corner is a very useful tool in place yet very under-utilized. There are plenty of information ... take advantage of it.

Check out Bore Cleaning Basics for starters.

Good luck!

Ed

Sam,

Please don't take offense but the custom search tool on the top right hand corner is a very useful tool in place yet very under-utilized. There are plenty of information ... take advantage of it.

Check out Bore Cleaning Basics for starters.

Good luck!

Ed
No offense taken and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. That does still leave me with the question of Tipton vs Dewey vs Proshot although as of now I don't see any Proshot rods that are coated so it's at least simplified.

tl;dr; But I hope you don't get offended when I tell you this. Prior to asking my questions I did a equivalent google search "site:longrangehunting.com cleaning rods" as well as other related searches. I got more results than I could simply filter through in any logical way. As an FYI, that top right box does exactly the same thing is those keywords in google.

I worked for two years on forum technology what I learned was that searching forums pulls up many results of which many are false positive. In fact, it's considered a forum's greatest downfall. All this is to say, a forum is a great place to ask question and use collective intelligence but it's generally not a good place to search for answers. However, if we were to take all the information gained by asking questions here and placing them on a wiki, we'd have a great reference tool. I hope that makes sense.

I don't know about everyone else but I do consider myself fairly tech savy but.... no matter which forum I'm on I find the search function ~95% useless.... It hardly EVER works for me, maybe it's an ID-10-T error, heck if I know.

OP. Dewey, one piece COATED cleaning rod. Please use a bore guide, you'll thank me later I promise. Unless you're just wanting to remove dirt etc from the bore, junk the bore snakes; much like the forum search function I find them equally worthless.

A piece of advice (& my own prejudices), muzzles are like an anus, exit only; clean from the breach. Buy properly sized jags & patches.

I also recommend the Nylon brushes over any other, stout solvents can (I said can) deteriorate bronze brushes. It's certainly happend to me anywho.

t

No offense taken and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. That does still leave me with the question of Tipton vs Dewey vs Proshot although as of now I don't see any Proshot rods that are coated so it's at least simplified.

tl;dr; But I hope you don't get offended when I tell you this. Prior to asking my questions I did a equivalent google search "site:longrangehunting.com cleaning rods" as well as other related searches. I got more results than I could simply filter through in any logical way. As an FYI, that top right box does exactly the same thing is those keywords in google.

I worked for two years on forum technology what I learned was that searching forums pulls up many results of which many are false positive. In fact, it's considered a forum's greatest downfall. All this is to say, a forum is a great place to ask question and use collective intelligence but it's generally not a good place to search for answers. However, if we were to take all the information gained by asking questions here and placing them on a wiki, we'd have a great reference tool. I hope that makes sense.

Good on you and likewise. If I want to query the LRH members only I use the site's custom search; all others I do similar to what you did.

Last edited:
Kcebjc and Outlaw6.0 nailed it. The Lucas guides are a must and are the last cleaning tool, if ever purchased.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.