A few questions from a newbie

SmoakAllen

I have a few questions about long range shooting.
I have a 300ultra mag. with a 30" barrel. The load I am using says it produces a muzzle velocity of 3370fps in a 26" barrel. How much more velocity should I get with the 30" barrel?

Also, my scope allows me to adjust for wind and variable distances. If it is dead on at 100 yards. And it drops 6 inches at 300 yards, then should I just click the scope 24 clicks to adjust for the height?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new.

Longer barrels might provide 30-70 fps per inch. You might get some good return with a longer barrel on the ulramag.

The minutes of angle adjustments change in your turrets as the distance changes. Simply think of one minute equals one inch at 100 yards, two inches at 200, three inches at 300 etc.

Your drop of 6" at 300 is the same as two minutes since each minute is worth three inches at 300. You need two minutes up, if your turrets are marked as 1/4 minute per click, you will need eight clicks.

Most turrets can be zeroed after you have shot the rifle and got the point of aim and point of impact where you want them. There may be little setscrews on the turret which when loosened enable the turret housing to free-wheel so you can line the "0" up with the index mark. Some turrets have the housing fitting on splines so you just loosen a top screw, lift the housing straight up, line up the "0" with the index mark, drop the turret into the splines and tighten the top screw.

Working from "0" you do not have to count clicks - you just go to the number 2 and you have two minutes up.

Good luck with this, after a while it is very simple. Just have to do it a bunch.

SmoakAllen,

Ian M is correct!

You figured 300 yards; drop 6", 4 clicks to an inch then (4 X 6 = 24 clicks). Almost right but not quite. The reason is 4 clicks to an inch at 100 yards not at 300. So what you do is take the 24 and divide it by 3 where 24/3 = 8 clicks. Just another angle to look at it! If your scope has MOA markings, 4 clicks to one MOA, then 8 clicks is 2 MOAs.

Thank you for the quick response.

My scope does allow me to set the adjustments at zero. Do you think I should zero the gun at 100 yards or 250?

My scope is a Leupold 6.5x10x50mm LR

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.