Thread protector - Probably a stupid question

JMHNL

I think I finally can't resist the urge to buy one of the Browning LR McMillan rifles for future deer adventures....but a question: I can't stand muzzle breaks. Can I simply shoot this rifle with the thread protector on it? Never quite clear on if the thread protector allows you to do this. Thanks in advance for the replies.

The main reason for the thread protector is to prevent the threads from getting damaged so that the muzzle brake can't screw back on. It looks better to have the end cap screwed on instead of the bare threads showing. The rifle can be fired with or without the thread protector in place. It will have no effect on anything other than the appearance of the rifle.

BTW there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are only stupid answers. The ones you have been given are NOT stupid answers. They are correct. Never be shy about asking questions. That's the easiest way to learn.

Alright, thanks for the quick feedback, now decisions decisions on which caliber!

Alright, thanks for the quick feedback, now decisions decisions on which caliber!
Don't know if you know this or not, but Browning recently changed the twist rate on some calibers of this rifle. Faster twist to take advantage of heavy VLD bullets. Pretty sure they changed the 28 to 1-8. There are still a lot of the old rifles available for sale. You have some homework to do. Decide what cartridge you want and then what twist. You may have a choice, and if you want the slower twist one, you might even find a bargain. Good luck with your quest. They are fine rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.