shooting help

coyote16

Hi all, Im new the the long range shooting and am using a winchester model 70 300 win mag. I use 180gr silver balistic tip ammo and am having trouble keeping a tight group out past 300 yards even with a bench and rest. Any help would be great.

Hi all, Im new the the long range shooting and am using a winchester model 70 300 win mag. I use 180gr silver balistic tip ammo and am having trouble keeping a tight group out past 300 yards even with a bench and rest. Any help would be great.
In reality coyote16 when you start shooting groups at 300yrds your rifle and amunition plays a big part along with the shooter . first thing i would do is free float the barrel you can check it with a dollar bill . secondly you can get good results with reloads . A good scope will help also at that range post what kind of barrel you have now and do you reload? there is alote of guys on this site that can help you out.

I dont reload but if the benfit is that great i can have loads made for me at the local gun shop. I switched out the barrel from a stock 24 in to a 26 in it is still a stock barrel. I use a smith and wesson scope 4 - 18 x 42mm Duplex with mill dots.

If you could reload it would not only help your accuracy but it would save you money . I have never shot factory amunition that was as good as my reloads . I will say i've never shot any factory match ammo . I reload for a 300rum . So if i had to buy factory ammunition i would have to sell my rifle thats how much it saves me... Is your barrel free floated i assume it is since you had a smith rebarrel it for you .

i belive it is i will check it when i get home. what kind of loads r u shooting with your 300 if the savings r that great then i need to get the presses i do reload for trap shooting but have never thought of rifle.

Let me say for starters it's easier to post what to buy because i'm not having to buy it . If you have the extra money go for it . I use a old style rcbs press that my dad passed down to me with rcbs dies . you can get a kit for about 245.00 it will have everything except the dies and i believe they run around 28.00 these prices are CLOSE. I reload hornady 208grain amax sierra 210 and i'm fixen to try some 210 bergers I'M breaking in my barrel now .

Coyote16,
Ther's more to good accuracy than you may realize. Everything works in conjuction with one another. If one item is sub par it throws a wrench into the works and accuracy suffers. I hear people say "I have a buddy who reloads, I'll have him make me up some reloads". What works for one rifle won't neccesarily work in yours. There's alot more but here are some key points to look at.

Rifle:
Assuming the chamber and crown are cut true, is the barrel 100% free floated sufficiently? Is the stock bedded, if it is, is it done stress free? Are my scope base screws tight? Is my scope rings lapped together for proper alignment? Is my scope of good quality that is reliable and repeatable?

Ammo:
Don't expect miracles from factory hunting ammo. Honestly with factory hunting ammo if you can shoot 1" at 100 yards in a factory rifle your fine. At 300 yards theoritically you should be able to shoot 3" but it will probably be more like 5". You just can't beat fine tuned ammo that is made for your rifle. The only way to get that is to hand load yourself, test different bullets, powders, primers, seating depth ect. until you find what your rifle likes.

I know you stated you were new to long range and I don't won't to overwelm you. Take it one step at a time, and do what you can to improve your accuracy. Have your rifle gone over by a reputable gunsmith and do what he reccomends to help your accuracy out. If you can find someone in your area that handloads and is willing to teach you, get with them and learn as much as you can. To me hands on is the best way. Other than that there is a wealth of information on here and almost anyone here will be willing to help as much as possible. Welcome to LRH and good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys i am checking a sporting goods store that is closing and hopeing to get the reload stuff i need i will keep u updated with the progress and changes that i make. once again thanks a ton

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.