MSU Shooting

The simple ugly answer to my mind is YOU need to be prepared and able to defend yourself at all times in all places regardless of regulation.
Yesterday in local Walmart with wife and heard a woman scream about 25' behind us. Purse snatch at 11AM inside a busy Walmart. All we saw was a gray hoodie running away. The woman could not even speak from terror she felt. I was so dam angry someone can and will do this to a woman. My wife was shopping in an aisle 10' from me. The impact upon my wife was significant and shook her up really bad. I was NOT carrying but that was a wake up call for me and her. We went out later and first thing in Jeep she asked "carrying?". Yep. So now we are on full alert prob as we should have but you do get relaxed. No more especially after Walmart then MSU.

Yesterday in local Walmart with wife and heard a woman scream about 25' behind us. Purse snatch at 11AM inside a busy Walmart. All we saw was a gray hoodie running away. The woman could not even speak from terror she felt. I was so dam angry someone can and will do this to a woman. My wife was shopping in an aisle 10' from me. The impact upon my wife was significant and shook her up really bad. I was NOT carrying but that was a wake up call for me and her. We went out later and first thing in Jeep she asked "carrying?". Yep. So now we are on full alert prob as we should have but you do get relaxed. No more especially after Walmart then MSU.
My wife ask if I have my American express.. you don't leave home without it

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

In our current age of immediate information and coverage of horrific events I am not sure it is really worse than in past generations. There have always been mentally deranged people. They have preyed on innocent people throughout history. In the distant past we just weren't bombarded with news and immediate information detailing these events. There are no immediate solutions. We can only do our best to protect ourselves and family from becoming victims. We do seem to tolerate behaviors that are evil in nature much more today. The only thing that will make a difference is removing these sick evil people from society. We just don't have the stomach for it.

Why?

Is it lack of family? Faith? Equitable freedom to grow?

Joy of being a commercial fisherman is that I keep getting older and crewman stay the same age. Keeps me young having to almost always have to interface and live around 18-25 year olds.

Family doesn't really exist, sure it does in isolated pockets but it's the exception not the norm. More importantly fathers don't really exist, so families are often rudderless. Families built communities, communities had value systems that had some form of faith component. The faith component gave a moral code to live by and an explanation and outlet for the injustice that occurs in any life. We killed all those institutions, and danced on the grave to celebrate our new "liberation". Consequences are not pretty.

Today if you're a young man the world's angst is layed at your feet. The sins of the past are yours to attone for. Every single option of debauchery is one click away, your emotional world exists on a manufactured plane but you have to live life in a real one. From what I've seen it's a fairly hopeless one. All this could be mitigated if we had strong families, churches and more importantly active and engaged fathers. Without it there is only despair or anger. We see the brutal acts of anger, but the real killer is the despair.

On the flip side, the Jordan Peterson phenomena seems to be effectively combating it on some small level. Only time will tell if it does in fact have a broader societal impact.

Just found out someone we know survived but roommate was killed. Horrific beyond thought. There are so many of these terrible incidences, why? The anger in our society is bubbling over in everything we do. Why?

I am really struggling to understand how this anger results in a decision to murdering innocent people. Children are those we step in front of bus to protect. Why?

Is it lack of family? Faith? Education? Equitable freedom to grow? Jealousy of success? Everything?

Our society is so broken, I truly wonder if we can fix it. I just don't know anymore. Our children, grandchildren, what chance do they have at a life we had?

If you know someone who is struggling, your reach out to them with care, it just may be the spark that is a life changer.

I will challenge everyone to have a civil respectful discussion. There is enough anger out there.
Bath School Massacre, 95 years ago, in Michigan, some guy took the lives of 45 school children. Just as sad and horrible back then as it is today. Deranged lunatic, that was just pure Evil, all it took.

Not trying to start crap but the violent video game schtick is a "cop out" ever watch Tom & Jerry? I knew when I was 4 years old hittin someone with a cast iron skillet is not gonna turn out good.... Common DAMMMM sense and some parenting goes a LOOOONG way!!!
I totally agree that common sense and parenting goes aloooooong way!! Jason

My father remembers people hunting pheasants to and from school, checking their guns on arrival. I remember one could bring a shotgun to school to do a gun cleaning speech. I'm not THAT old.

The presence of guns hasn't changed. This is a societal problem, it's become the fashionable way for disturbed people to feel power on their way out. Legislation cannot solve societal problems.