Shooters that do not hunt?

I'm surprised at the number of shooters I encounter that do not go hunting. They've either given it up for various reasons or never hunted to begin with, they enjoy shooting by its own merit.
I'll admit I'm not the diehard I used to be, age takes it's toll on the body. I still enjoy getting outdoors and Fall is my favorite time of year.
I get it either way and wouldn't judge a man or woman for their choice. At the ripe age of four I was give my first BB gun and have been addicted for the past 50 years of both shooting and hunting. My entire family hunted (aunts, uncles and cousins) for any game animal that was in season. There was sport in it, however, it was mainly to put food on the table. Hunting season was a time to put as much meat in the freezer as possible and the rest of the year consisted of growing and putting as much vegetables in the freezer or jars. I still take just enough to have a year's worth of game (deer, elk, turkey and fish etc) but nothing like those days. I love loading and shooting and for our family, thankfully it's still a family passion.

Then you'd already know. When you get asked to help eliminate a sounder you do whatcha gotta do. They are so destructive.
Kill em all! It's about making a drt shot. Which I always strive for. There are always exceptions. I seen hog shooting get a little "overly passionate" causing several "wild" shots being made. Thus my being so careful with my shots. Shoot the hogs, not me!😙🤨🫨

Last edited:
Growing up hunting in Mn, I walked into my stand Opening Day in the dark. When it got light, I could see 3 guys from where I sat.
It was in the woods where you could only see maybe 100-150 yards.
That was my last day of hunting that spot!
We drove 300 miles to the camp sight. Jeeped in 12 more. Hiked in 2 miles to a big meadow on the side of a Mt in Colorado for opening day Elk. First light it sounded like a war zone and there was orange everywhere. The Elk that stepped out started a cross fire.

Certainly not judging, just an observation. When I was growing up the only reason anyone owned a gun was to hunt with it.:)
That's the way I started that's for sure. The average load out, so to speak, for someone who hunts is what, 8-10 firearms? Ducks, Quail, rabbits, deer, coyotes, turkey, pheasants, elk, bear. Each one a valid reason for a dedicated firearm. That's what I tell the wife anywho.

Certainly not judging, just an observation. When I was growing up the only reason anyone owned a gun was to hunt with it.:)

I suppose that you grew up in Wyoming!

When and were I grew up my Dad carried a handgun everywhere we went, and slept with the same handgun beneath his pillow! As kids, it was drilled into us to "NEVER" get up at night without calling out to him and getting an acknowledgement!

I started carrying when I was 15, and soon after when I got married …..it took a little while for my young wife to get comfortable sharing our bed with my Model 28 Smith!

I've lost 4 personal friends and one acquaintance to murder in the area I grew up! None were expecting to die that day/night…..and none were prepared to prevent it! memtb

I suppose that you grew up in Wyoming!

When and were I grew up my Dad carried a handgun everywhere we went, and slept with the same handgun beneath his pillow! As kids, it was drilled into us to "NEVER" get up at night without calling out to him and getting an acknowledgement!

I've lost 4 personal friends and one acquaintance to murder in the area I grew up! None were expecting to die that day/night…..and none were prepared to prevent it! memtb
Dang. Where was that?

Lots of people carry in Wyoming nowadays too. The 1960s-70s was a different time. Crime is still very low in WY.

I love Wyoming and have zero regrets at moving here…..however, my firearm policies are not changed!

In fact, my Wyoming born wife, after going to Louisiana numerous times and my keeping up with things down there…..she is now "very" onboard with "OUR" firearm policies, at home or on the road! memtb

Recent Posts