Shooters that do not hunt?

I suppose that you grew up in Wyoming!

When and were I grew up my Dad carried a handgun everywhere we went, and slept with the same handgun beneath his pillow! As kids, it was drilled into us to "NEVER" get up at night without calling out to him and getting an acknowledgement!

I started carrying when I was 15, and soon after when I got married …..it took a little while for my young wife to get comfortable sharing our bed with my Model 28 Smith!

I've lost 4 personal friends and one acquaintance to murder in the area I grew up! None were expecting to die that day/night…..and none were prepared to prevent it! memtb
Dangit memtb,that's horrible and I hate to hear that brother and there's no excuse for that in my opinion. No Sir, not Wyoming, I grew up in the small town of Bogart, Ga. It was a safe southern town where our doors were never locked. Times have changed everywhere now days and it's sad.

Dangit memtb,that's horrible and I hate to hear that brother and there's no excuse for that in my opinion. No Sir, not Wyoming, I grew up in the small town of Bogart, Ga. It was a safe southern town where our doors were never locked. Times have changed everywhere now days and it's sad.

Yes, it is sad! But, as I mentioned in a previous post….none of those that were murdered were prepared to defend themselves!

Obviously, there's no guarantee that a defense firearm will save you, but I will guarantee …..it can't help you if you do not have it! memtb

Yes, it is sad! But, as I mentioned in a previous post….none of those that were murdered were prepared to defend themselves!

Obviously, there's no guarantee that a defense firearm will save you, but I will guarantee …..it can't help you if you do not have it! memtb
I 100% agree! My entire family is never without and are always ready just in case.

Wow. I pretty much grew up in Mayberry. We kept firearms in the cars at school so we could go hunt after class.
After class? We hunted in ND at the duck and goose areas before and after class. Left them in the trunk and they froze. Left the shotguns in the trunk. Do that today and you'll do some iron time or get shot! Days gone by...

Wow. I pretty much grew up in Mayberry. We kept firearms in the cars at school so we could go hunt after class.
Not quite Mayberry, but got a model1100 Remington shotgun for Christmas in my junior year of high school. Brought to school and assistant principal came out to the parking lot to see it and swing at birds flying around. 1968. Imagine that now. Its on CNN!

As much as I like shooting my 2 or 3 designated target rifles, I find I enjoy hand loading for and shooting my hunting rifles the most by far. Shooting for me is an extension of hunting, carrying them in the field and using them for their (and my) intended purpose completes the cycle.

Have had a deep drive that goes back to early youth to participate in the chase and harvesting of natural food, albeit seafood or later game animals. My mom was from a WV coal mining family where growing up in tuff times, they supplemented the table fare anyway they could. She was always happy and cooked up anything I could catch growing up.

I don't take it lightly. I still feel a shiver of remorse for the animal when taking larger game, but mostly feel a respect and gratitude that the animal played its part in my experience and family's sustenance.

Not quite Mayberry, but got a model1100 Remington shotgun for Christmas in my junior year of high school. Brought to school and assistant principal came out to the parking lot to see it and swing at birds flying around. 1968. Imagine that now. Its on CNN!
I had a very hard used 12ga, 3in, 26in barrel. Untold thousands of rounds through it. Always used 3in shells. I think I got it at a Coast to Coast hardware store in Grand Forks, ND. Circa 1971. Dont know the actual make or model anymore. I beat the crap outta that gun. Mud holes, lakes, frozen sloughs, and a nail or two. It never failed me. Until I tried to break it down in 2020. It had a single slide and it cracked when I finally got apart. Oh well, it served its purpose well. Got a REM 870 now and love it! ❤️ Days gone by......

I have been target shooting for years no competition or anything even taken some self defense classes with pistol,rifle, and shotgun but now I am working on getting into hunting. have shot some pigs when we lived in ca that was addictive but no longer have acces. I now live in utah and am trying to learn where to go and how to go about deer and maybe sooner or later elk. but when you are new to an area it's expensive and hard to find the right people to help you get started but I am getting there

I have met many Shooters at the range , who do not hunt. Some never hunted, some have just lost interest in Hunting and just shoot precision rifle and Bench Rest Guns. They seem to love competition. I must say, with respect, moist of them are over 65 years old, and shoot beautiful rifles.

..the two really have nothing to do with each other..other than the bang. Most shooters fire more shots fouling a clean barrel than hunters do in a season.. Competition can require 1/4 inch groups and hunters have a basketball sized target..