Looking for a shooter that dont burn the budget

Re: Part two of budget shooter

Ok / here is another question for ya, I already have a few riffles that are real shooters, my new pet is a TC ICON that I bought last summer. Now here is the question , I have two loads for it that do really well, one is the 165 gr Nosler balistic tip , loaded in Nosler brass, with 45.5 gr Varget Fed 215M primers ( yes the magnums ) and oal is 2.808" it is shooting .122" at 107 yds and .507" at 307 yds, with a vel of 2856 fps at 15' from the muzzle. This load is a deer slayer but can I use it in compition ? Or is there a reason why it cant be used . I have a Nikon Monarch 5-20 mounted on the gun , I know its not a "target rig " and may look a little funny on the line , but cant I use the ICON to see if its my cup of tea before buying a complete rig just for that reason. DOES ANY ONE ELSE HAVE AN ICON ?

that is the whole idea of f-class. i know i have never shot against a .270 which is a fine round. i don't believe i have ever shot against a t/c 308. the matches i shoot at are 66 rounds at either 500 or 600 yards depending on which range it is at. your 20 power scope is perfect.

Hmmmmm.... Yes and no on the Nosler BTips. Their BC is .475, while the Sierra 155gr palma (version 2156) has a BC of .505. So, the 155 will get going a little faster, it will retain that ballistic advantage longer, and be slightly less affected by wind.

Good Shooting,
Gary

Hmmmmm.... Yes and no on the Nosler BTips. Their BC is .475, while the Sierra 155gr palma (version 2156) has a BC of .505. So, the 155 will get going a little faster, it will retain that ballistic advantage longer, and be slightly less affected by wind.

Good Shooting,
Gary

I have to agree with you on bullet choice, but the whole purpose of competing is being confident with the equipment you own. He said he is shooting bug holes at 300yd with his current set up. Sounds to me like he knows his equipment. So I would suggest you stick with what you know and give it a try. No one is going to point and laugh... or at least I hope they wouldn't. People have been successful with 168 SMK's and 175 SMK's and don't come close to a .505 BC. Knowing your equipment is better than having a ballistic advantage. Ballistics does nothing for a shooter if you don't know the bullet and what it does.

Tank

I have to agree with you on bullet choice, but the whole purpose of competing is being confident with the equipment you own. He said he is shooting bug holes at 300yd with his current set up. Sounds to me like he knows his equipment. So I would suggest you stick with what you know and give it a try. No one is going to point and laugh... or at least I hope they wouldn't. People have been successful with 168 SMK's and 175 SMK's and don't come close to a .505 BC. Knowing your equipment is better than having a ballistic advantage. Ballistics does nothing for a shooter if you don't know the bullet and what it does.

Tank
Thanks for the input, I really like your advice, Now all I have to do is find a place to practice in Northern NC and see what me and my set up will do.lightbulbanyone know of a place near Rockingham co, North Carolina, Greensboro, somewhere around here, any where around here HELP

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.