Shoot big game from the road/vehicle in wyoming?

I hunt Wyoming quite a bit and tons of guys shoot off the hood for speed goats. It is quite common. So common I asked the local game warden if it was legal to do so. I was instructed I should step over to the shoulder and shoot from this area. I said how about from the paved roads and the answer was the same. I was like wow that's cool! So many units in Wyoming are these crazy checkerboard public/private with Pronghorn walking all over it. The game warden said he had no issues with pulling off the road on a public yellow BLM piece and shooting a goat from right there. I have never done it. But I saw a lot of folks that did. Quick easy load in 5 min and off to the processor. Lotsa Dad's with kids getting their first big game animals would he my guess. I don't even think the Game Wardens enforce it unless they see a dangerous situation. They have bigger fish to fry. Like trespassing. You step off that yellow and get on the oil ground and man expect to have a green or black truck headed your way. Use OnXMaps or Base Maps and pay attention. I saw people getting tickets for trespassing daily. Myself I go up away from these checkerboard areas and hunt solid yellow public land. Safe. Wide open. Few road hunters.

Video does have a way of giving lots of facts. Driving around, waiting to kick up a herd of pronghorn, then shooting a tiny buck from the pickup parked on the road... I mean those are pretty much facts. Facts, or some next level video editing, even for hollywood. :)
Let's assume some more, shall we?
  • Driving on a private ranch 2 track - neither illegal nor unethical
  • Shooting from a ranchers track on the ranchers land with the ranchers permission
  • Legally handicapped hunter.
  • Meat hunting with many buck and doe tags - my son and I had 6 pronghorn tags between us this year.
  • Told by the rancher "You can hunt here but don't leave any tags unfilled" - I can introduce you to two ranchers in Wyoming where I have permission to hunt that have told me that.
  • Last hours of the last day of the hunt (see rancher statement above)
The potential facts are different from the facts. Everything I wrote above is potentially true, just as potentially true as all of the assumptions that are made in this thread by chicks who would never wear that dress in public.

BTW, Not pointing at you orkan, this is just my general observation that is pretty common on forums. Attack other peoples posts (in this case, someones not-very-entertaining- video) as a way to highlight the virtues we want people to notice

In PA, there are dozens of places I hunt where I can shoot over a highway and be well over the road surface. There are several places where the spot from where we shoot is well over 100' elevated above the road. I don't see an issue with this.
Seeing how far the extreme long range guys are shooting these days, if you would eliminate the areas where line of sight and the bullet flight path travel over a road or another obstacle that would be considered unacceptable you would be unable to hunt/shoot over vast amounts of terrain.
Out west as well as here in the east.
Also in PA, handicapped can shoot from a vehicle with the proper permit and it is also legal to shoot from a road as long as you do not shoot across the road or shoot at wildlife on the road.

I can't think of ANY state that allows shooting from the road or a vehicle
The only way you can legally shoot from a vehicle in Pa. is if you are physically disabled and have a permit from the Game commission to do so. One of my friends has this permit because he can drive a special vehicle but needs assistance to get in his wheelchair. And that's not happening in the woods or fields, so for him to be able to hunt like this. I applaud him. I know because I'm the one who helped or retrieved the deer for him, And if it weren't for that permit. His hunting would be over. He's 75. I'm 67.
He worries if they will change that law before he passes. And this stipulation is for hunting on Game lands. And on Private property. Not just some random rd. 🤷‍♂️

That might look like a private road where you are from... but out here, that looks like a public road maintained by the county/township... and I'd venture a guess that 95% of the roads that exist within 100 miles of me in any direction look just like that.

I wasn't there though... could be a private driveway. Unlikely but possible. Even if it is, the real crime is shooting a 9" pronghorn. lol 😁
The Red Desert is virtually all public lands, 9300 sq miles, Federal with some State. If the road looks maintained, it most likely was built by Oil companies and is taken care of by the same companies in a joint effort.
WY is over half public lands, we have private roads on public lands, explain that one.
I am not condoning what these clowns did here, driving off the road to look for the animal is more disturbing to me than the shot he took.
Also, I have friends that hunt the Red Desert for Elk each year, from the stories I hear, I am not sure this isn't status quo for the area. I assume Game Wardens have priority as to what crimes to pursue as do all facets of LE. If your small town SD is being ravaged by meth, the local Police Dept may not be quite as concerned when aunt Gertrude exceeds the speed limit by 8 mph.

Now not trying to start one of our usual arguments, but road hunting pheasants back in your neck of the woods was some of the most over the top crap I have ever witnessed. Every swinging dick with a Pabst Blue Ribbon between his legs driving down county rds with a 12 ga hanging out the window was even too much for me. And I liked drinking beer.

Off topic, it's Saturday and i hope everyone is out enjoying the best time of year! Out Scouting, camping, exploring, shooting, hunting or going to a college football game. Whatever you like to do and not stuck at work posting on forums like me. Go Vols.

If shooting pronghorn from a wide open dirt road/ 2 track in Wyoming is illegal about half of Pronghorn hunters are or have been guilty I bet, maybe not stopping right in the middle but pulling off the shoulder and using the hood/tailgate etc for rest. Sure non residents donthis and that, but resident hunters by far have done the most poaching and seriously illegal type things in my experience/opinion. Now leaving gates open that is another story....... Ethically In this wide open terrain does it really matter if its off the truck or 30 feet off the road, with our 1000 yard rifle locked into a huge tripod so that you don't need to even hold the gun steady.
Edit to add, I was Pronghorn hunting in Wyoming this year and the only time I saw people walking from a truck was to drag a Pronghorn to the truck.
Where can i get one of those tripods? lol

Now not trying to start one of our usual arguments, but road hunting pheasants back in your neck of the woods was some of the most over the top crap I have ever witnessed. Every swinging dick with a Pabst Blue Ribbon between his legs driving down county rds with a 12 ga hanging out the window was even too much for me. And I liked drinking beer.
Amen brother. I couldn't handle the road hunter crowd. Still can't. I hated it so much, I moved. lol

I don't presume to know the complexities about wyoming public/private road thing you mentioned. Seems complicated. Certainly too complicated for my little mind. I'd venture a guess we are aligned on more than we are not. ;)

I don't know of any state except Texas that allow shooting from a vehicle unless disable. Most states don't allow for a round in the chamber and being inside a vehicle either. Also leaning a rifle or shotgun against a vehicle with a round in the chamber is illegal too. I know of one person that got a transmission while hunting in Colo. He was a local too. At lease he didn't have to use his tag.

I don't know of any state except Texas that allow shooting from a vehicle unless disable. Most states don't allow for a round in the chamber and being inside a vehicle either. Also leaning a rifle or shotgun against a vehicle with a round in the chamber is illegal too. I know of one person that got a transmission while hunting in Colo. He was a local too. At lease he didn't have to use his tag.
We can shoot from vehicle here, but it has to be non-game critters.

Amen brother. I couldn't handle the road hunter crowd. Still can't. I hated it so much, I moved. lol

I don't presume to know the complexities about wyoming public/private road thing you mentioned. Seems complicated. Certainly too complicated for my little mind. I'd venture a guess we are aligned on more than we are not. ;)
As shooters and hunters, we are in the spotlight more than any of us care to be. Honestly, I question the validity of this post. Just more ammo, even though the idiots posted it up on me tube.
The I am stupid club needs to film it and go viral. I rate the smart phone at the top of the culprits of the degradation of society.