Are Wyoming two tracks public roads?

ksrifle

I recently bought the Wyoming chip for my Garmin, and was wondering if the two tracks on the map are public roads. First Garmin, first antelope hunt, need help.
Thanks

Public, might not be the correct term. If they are on public land, and you don't cross private to get on them or drive on private, they are "established" roads" you may use.
Some methane and oil roads are posted. Check with the local SO where you plan on hunting.

This is where having the OnX map on the computer AND using the DeLorme atlas can help.

"Usually" if it is a road with a name or number, it is public.
2-tracks that are established and are on public land are OK to use. You're not supposed to venture off from them, however.
Roads that cross private land are often posted if you're not supposed to use them. Unnamed roads on private land are always private.

Generally what you see on the Chip is accurate, and I've seen it specifically mention private roads.

much of Wyoming land is checker boarded between private and public land. But our state has landowner pacts to cross and hunt on both, but you can get an HMA (hunter management access) the "trespass" permission slip can be found on the link below and it's based on the area you have a tag issued for. As for my Garmin with a updated hunt chip the two lane road can mean anything and dirt roads can still be public roads or private. Wyoming law does not require landowners to post their land and crossing private land to get to BLM or public land is still trespassing. better off to get a pass that encompasses everything in the hunt area if you can

? what area did you draw?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Deadline-approaches-to-apply-for-permission-slips

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be in area 9. Really looking forward to the whole experience, I'm just trying to get a grasp on everything. Thanks again.

Im across the state for from area 100 but if you were closer I could show you exactly where to go. Get your HMA fast they stop giving them on September 10

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't think there's any HMA's in area 9. There is a good amount of walk in hunting and state land. I'm planning on mostly scouting my first day, and also find a place to tent camp.

Sorry, I just looked for the HMA in that area and you are correct,lots of accessible land in that area and I could not find the HMA.

No problem, I appreciate you taking the trouble to check. It's always good to get another perspective on things.

As Dr. Vette says public (two track) roads are marked or numbered. Not all of them are so marked on the private/public land chip.

I highly recommend you get a map of the are, I've found some roads would be marked on the map and not on the GPS chip and visa versa.

You'll find many two lane roads on private land normally along fence lines (used for maintaining fences.

If you use the chip in conjunction with maps I think you will stay out of trouble.

When I hunted antelope in Wyoming a few years ago the regs said that it had to be a road that was maintained for public use. A two track wasn't considered a road. I talked to a game warden face to face and he said the same thing. I don't know if things have changed in the last few years.

When I hunted antelope in Wyoming a few years ago the regs said that it had to be a road that was maintained for public use. A two track wasn't considered a road. I talked to a game warden face to face and he said the same thing. I don't know if things have changed in the last few years.
You should see some of the "roads" then south of Lander and west of Sweetwater.
Calling them a two track would be generous - and they're definitely official roads!

Two tracks are definitely not established roads for public access. Area 9 is a good Antelope area with lots of Walk in Areas and a Huge 50 section plus Wyoming State land area around Highway 270. All of this area holds good numbers of antelope and you should have no problem filling your tag. The best advice I have is get a good GPS and buy a Delorme's map and the BLM maps for your hunt area. If you can pay another $100 the X maps GPS chip is well worth every penny and will keep you away from a trespassing ticket. The farther away from roads you get will increase your trophy hunt potential. The opening week crowd can also be a hunting zoo but come whenever your vacation/work schedule allows and you should have a great hunt.

Thanks for the clarification and encouragement! It looks like I need to buy the Delorme map, and I already have the Wyoming chip in my gps.
I'm planning on going in the middle of October, as I would rather deal with spooked animals than crazy opening weekend crowds.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.