Looking for a good public place in Wyoming for a doe antelope

jrsv2203

Hi. I live in Colorado and love hunting antelope. I lost my place last year and want to start hunting in Wyoming. I have 1 preference point and am looking for a public place or private place allowing hunting where I have a good chance of getting a doe. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. PM me if you want, that would be fine also.
Thanks

You might wish to try the search function. A doe antelope is relatively easy in much of Wy. About anywhere from Newcastle to Casper to Gillette to buffalo has antelope. The Thunder Basin nat grasslands between Wright and Newcastle is good. Almost anywhere around Casper or Douglas. Buy a land ownership map and match it up with the hunt unit. Many of the hunt units in Wy are undersubscribed. Don't waste your pref point on a doe tag. Pick one of those up after the draw. Bruce

What he said. Don't waste your point. Doe tags are over the counter just about anywhere here. Too the SW is the Red Desert. Get a public land map.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think the reduced price doe/fawn tags are subject to preference points.

Or at least I hope so because I may have just burned up the point I started saving last year!!!

I'm pretty sure you DON'T need any point to buy an over the counter doe fawn antelope tag. Is that what you are asking?
Wait for the left over list and it should be first come first serve.
Plan ahead and buy them when you are here.

No, there is a separate draw for just the doe/fawn tags. I don't think they are subject to preference points. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I know some units have left over after the draw and those are sold OTC, but there are some units that have no left over tags (usually the units with decent amt of public land). So I put in for doe tag for a unit I wanted and was hoping that doesn't pull my preference point if I draw.

The only time you lose your PP(s) is on a first choice draw in the Limited Quota Draw for a buck tag, which is done for all buck antelope in the state. Some units allow two bucks (23 is one), but only one is allowed in the draw. The other would have to be purchased online in July as a leftover. There are also units that allow up to 4 doe tags, but again only two can be obtained in the initial draw. If a unit always has a bunch of tags left after the draw it saves money by just buying them as a leftover in July because they don't tack on the $14 application fee like they do in the draw. Unit 27 is one that has good numbers and plenty of public land to fill a buck tag and/or to go after a doe. It will probably take 1PP again this year in that unit to draw a buck tag based on draw odds in previous years. I've hunted out in Wyoming almost every year since 1992 and if any of you have questions on the draw or anything else just give me a shout and I'd be happy to help you!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts