Wyoming antelope for daughter

Hiline89

My daughter is 12 & can hunt Wyoming for the first time this year. I usually hunt unit 72 but didn't get drawn this year. I'd like to find a place to pay a trespass fee in one of the leftover tag units such as 21,22,23,25,26 or 30. I hunted 25 public ground a few years ago & would like to take her somewhere that isn't crawling with people her first western hunt if possible. I'm just wrapping up a 260 build for her to take. This is my first post on long range hunting but I've been reading & learning from this sight for a few years now. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,mark

Ok I've decided on unit 26 or 30. Hunted 72-73 five times & 25 once so these units are new to me. Anybody know of cabins for rent in either of these units? I think my daughter would enjoy that over a hotel.

I'm not familiar with the area you're talking about. I live east of Newcastle and hunt area 7. It's about a 30 minute drive from my house and there is no real reason not to hunt from the house.

BUT:

I don't. I take a little tent and camp in the area. Right in the middle of it. I love laying awake at night and watching the stars and listening to coyotes. Even on opening day I have privacy.

If your daughter is anything like my granddaughter, she'd enjoy that much more then staying in a cabin or motel.

Just a Hint.

antelope%20camp.jpg

Oh yeah she loves to camp! Only problem is I will have to take her out of school a few days & we could fly to Casper from Missouri cheaper than driving & it takes 16 hrs each way driving if I wanted to bring my camping gear.plus with the season in October I'm little worried about weather If we camped.

Wyoming the first two weeks of Oct. is one of the best times weather wise.

Cool (not cold) nights, warm days, and dry.

Maybe I'll reconsider driving out then. I've had great success hunting public land in 72 with my dad & have always driven & camped. Nice to have everything with me that I might need & process animals myself.

I wish you well on the hunt with your daughter. I was planning on the same this year taking my wife and 12 year old daughter also. Was disappointed that we didnt draw our tags. We applied for unit 47 type 2 with 4 pps between us but didnt draw. I was also on the computer when the left over tags went on sale July 10th, 8:00 am trying to get the 63 type 2 tags that were listed but they were literally gone off the list in less than 60 seconds. That was the only unit with public land.
OK , So i'd just pay a trespass fee and hunt private but cant even find anything available there. I have called about 25 numbers on the landowner list that I got from game and fish for units 23,30, and 109 and still cant find any place to hunt antelope. Only got 2 people to answer the phone and they said that they were already full. The others wont answer the phone or return my call when I leave a message. I dont know what the deal is since I have never tried to do a trespass hunt before.
Hope that things work out better for you. really.:rolleyes:

Hey Mark,
What part of Missouri are you from? I'm guessing western since it seems to take me 16 hours to get to KC!

Good luck on your hunt!

Bob

Dan man I haven't had any luck calling off the landowner list either that's why I started this thread. Don't worry about it though! There is hma, & wia areas in areas u talked about. I'm sure there is some blm land also. Plenty of goats on public lands, I just thought it was worth a try to find a trespass hunt if I could since I would be hunting a new area. Google Wyoming hma & wia & you find plenty of info. I have an sd card for my gps that shows private & public lands. Highly recommend it!

I'm an hour west of st Louis . Been goin to Wyoming every year for the last 7 urs for elk antelope or mule deer.

30 isn't that good anymore. Box Elder wma is closed and the others have few slips available. The walkin area was void of anything with a heartbeat. No BLM to speak of either.

Of the units that are left, I believe 23 has the most BLM, on the west side.

topgun has been helping quite a few, he may chime in here or you can hit him up on the wyoming forum on monstermuleys.

this is my 3rd year and 3rd different unit so i'm not up on all the leftover units other than 30, where I first hunted with my daughter and I gave up on it.

upon further review, you might also look at 113. looks like more than enough blm to pop a few does.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.