Shoot better with cheap scopes?

Does anyone find themselves shooting better with cheap scopes? The reason I ask is that I have a rem 700 in 308 win. The first scope I put on it was a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 that I picked up for $120. I was shooting MOA with it and was very happy. I have a minox za5 HD 2-10x40 that retailed for $500 to $600 that I went and put on it since it was a "better" scope. I am having a hard time getting a 3 inch group consistently with the exact same ammo. I had that scope on a rem700 3006 that it did the same thing. It says on the turrets that a click is 1/4moa and it does not seem correct. Seems like it is closer to 1/2 moa per click. I don't know if its the scope or I have some physiological disorder to the scope.
I agree. A scope works FOR YOU...or it doesn't. You can ask too much of a scope but in my 55 years of using scopes I have both used & owned bad, good & great scopes, in all price ranges. I've made some great shots with a really cheap scope & I've seen 3 expensive scopes, (I owned 2 of them), that were useless - brand new, out of the box! I'm not into bashing brands here, but there are 2 big names that I will never buy again. I've always said, "What works - works". The ONLY person you have to impress is yourself!

Does the Minox have a side focus/parallax adjustment? Or maybe your eye relief and cheek weld is different between both optics? Good luck and please report back.

Scopes are weird. One of my best rifles has a mid-range scope mounted on it, which I keep telling myself I should upgrade, except every time I put it to my shoulder what I am looking at is clear and sharp and perfectly in place. I put that scope on because it's a 2-7X and I was using it for an up close kind of hunt but now I can't seem to take it off. I have scopes that cost more but I don't like as much. It's come down to an ego thing. Having that scope on the rifle is kind of an embarrassment, especially when I take it out among knowledgeable hunters - but I'll get over it.

My go-to's for the last several years have been NF, S&B, March and more recently a ZCO, not cheap, but my aging eyes benefit from good glass, and they are nuts on in every respect. I will say that early on for LRH I bought a couple of Huskemaw 5x20x50's. Not exactly cheap, but much more affordable then the aforementioned scopes. To this day, they have been trouble free, are nice/easy to shoot, exacting in their turrets/controls and have accounted for some of my best and most shots on LR game then any one of my other scopes.

I have had a problem with only a few scopes.
Tasco broke a wire - replaced
Burris - tight power ring, no charge
Swarovski - clean and update - RI Service is slow.
Leupold VX-III- Change Dot to smaller one - no charge

The things that determine quality you don't always see. Lens coatings (good coatings are rare earth based and expensive) , adj. mechanisms, solid tube, glass vs plastic lenses, etc.

If the scope has the same problem on different rifles and different mounts, I would think that there is something wrong with it. If you have a collimator, I would check crosshairs on the grid, shoot, and check between every shot to see if there is crosshairs shift. Three inches at one hundred yards is 3 MOA and you would definately be able to see the shift.

I still have my first scope I bought as a teenager about 1970. It's a Weaver V9 3x9. Still one of my most trusted scopes! I think a paid $90.00 at the time.

In the end the scope is at its core an aiming device. Any scope can have issues whether you pay $100 or $5k. Reliability trumps better glass and features. The best of both is optimum, but you have to empty your wallet to get it.

Does anyone find themselves shooting better with cheap scopes? The reason I ask is that I have a rem 700 in 308 win. The first scope I put on it was a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 that I picked up for $120. I was shooting MOA with it and was very happy. I have a minox za5 HD 2-10x40 that retailed for $500 to $600 that I went and put on it since it was a "better" scope. I am having a hard time getting a 3 inch group consistently with the exact same ammo. I had that scope on a rem700 3006 that it did the same thing. It says on the turrets that a click is 1/4moa and it does not seem correct. Seems like it is closer to 1/2 moa per click. I don't know if its the scope or I have some physiological disorder to the scope.
Yes , I'm a believer in 2006 I purchase on sale $79.95 4×12 Bushnell at midway mounted on 6.5 sweadish hand loaded 120gr Btip using varget. Was able to trim loads "shooting same hole 🎯 100YRDS will not buy any scope $250 or up unless I win lottery.

I agree, try warranty.

That said, the most "accurate" is a 3-9x40 $100 nikon from Canadian Tire in $10 rings.
Far from my best glass but it tracks 100% and just hasn't failed. It's been on every rifle I own and has been easiest to sight, zero and just works. Sadly my 2nd is an old tasco tha looks like it was used to nail together a barn. It's on a Savage single shot mk1.

Honestly they aren't my best, best for purpose, nicest, or frankly top of any list. But if I get to travel or go on a guided, both are coming as spares.
I have a M70 Winchester in .270Win that I bought 20 years ago. I put a Nikon BuckMaster 3-9X40 on it. The first two shots went through the same hole with the third touching. It has never lost zero I have taken at least 10 hogs with it, the last at 350 yards on the run in a 15 MPH crosswind…

I'd also have to say it is the scope itself. I have spread the array of scopes form clearance bsa to the high end nightforce and March. Never had any issues shooting any. The difference came in clarity especially in higher magnification, and tracking.
I'd say double check everything is tight then if it still has issues send it in.
I caused my tail for two weeks with exactly what you are describing. New scope and the groups were big. Finally swapped to another cheap scope sitting around and it was good. Scope just didn't like working.

I checked all the mounting screws and everything looked fine. I spoke with the people at Minox and they said send it in. I am afraid they will just send it back and tell me there is nothing wrong with the scope but I will give it a try anyhow and see what happens.

In the meantime, I have a pig hunt scheduled for next week and a new scope was not part of the budget so I ordered a vortex diamondback xp 3-12x42 on clearance for $199 that is supposed to be here this friday. Hopefully, I won't give this one away to a friend in need.