Shipping powder and primers, and condensation

Threejs

It can be really tough to get powder and primers where I live. Sometimes midway will run a special on shipping hazardous materials so it's actually feasible to buy some from them. Considering that it is winter here do you think there will be a problem having the powder get very cold then warm then cold warm....... I'm worried that the powder or primers may get condensation in the packaging. Has anyone had a problem?

Primers are not a problem. They can be soaked in water for a week, let dry, and still fire. I have done it.

With powder, high temperature can be a problem. https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5860901
Propellantdeteriorationyearsversustemperature_zps29357560.png
Depending on powder type, time and temperature may be different?

Condensation should form on the outside of the container?? Its good that most powder comes in plastic. I think metal containers would be more of a problem?? If the shipment comes on a cold day. Let it in the shipping package till it reaches room temperature, is what i would do. May take a while.

It will be interesting to read other experances.

Your local dealer has it shipped in the winter without any problems. I get it shipped to me all year round and never have a problem. Heck they ship it half way around the world through all kinds of weather. All this to say you looking for problem that does not exist.

It can be really tough to get powder and primers where I live. Sometimes midway will run a special on shipping hazardous materials so it's actually feasible to buy some from them. Considering that it is winter here do you think there will be a problem having the powder get very cold then warm then cold warm....... I'm worried that the powder or primers may get condensation in the packaging. Has anyone had a problem?

I'm curious how it's going to get cold, then hot, cold, then hot? You have to sign for any hazardous materials or they will not leave it at your house, so it's not like its going to be sitting outside for a while... Do you store it in your garage, or storage shed?

I store my powder, primers, and all my other reloading stuff inside my house. My bench and all my reloading gear (and components) sits in a room upstairs, so it is not exposed to the harsh atmosphere and moisture that can be detrimental to your gear.

I didn't necessarily mean (or say) hot then cold then hot. It is currently -3 degrees with the wind chill here. If it's 70 in the midway warehouse, the powder will be 70. When the powder sits in a warehouse in Mi the warehouse will be 40-45 or less. Then it's loaded on a truck that sits outside (-3) for an hour or more before the driver gets in to start their delivery day. There is a potential that the powder could go from above freezing to very far below freezing then be warmed back to room temperature. Anytime you take something below freezing then warm it up it has a potential to condensate.

I will admit that it is probably a very slim chance. I was simply curious if it could happen. I figured this forum is a good place to ask as most on here are seemingly knowledgeable and most actually have real experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.