SHERMAN DIE OPTION QUESTION

I really like the Whidden sizer die, but find the Whidden seater die to be frustratingly inconsistent and difficult to use. It would be nice to have an alternative. Hornady's regular die sets are the reason I quickly went to Redding dies when I began to load my own ammo. Having said that, I would be willing to give one of their seater dies a whirl.

I prefer the Forester die sets over the Whidden dies. I only have a couple of the Hornady dies, but I'd go Forester for the micrometer seaters.

I would think that more options by reputable manufacturers would benefit the Sherman line, in the long run, so go for it.

My buddy builds all his dies through Hornady for hus custom builds.. he loves them and they are all super accurate rifles. Hes the kind of guy that would not use something thats not perfect

Kasey

I really like the Whidden sizer die, but find the Whidden seater die to be frustratingly inconsistent and difficult to use. It would be nice to have an alternative. Hornady's regular die sets are the reason I quickly went to Redding dies when I began to load my own ammo. Having said that, I would be willing to give one of their seater dies a whirl.

I had the same experience with whidden. Sizing die was good but bullets stick in the stem of the seating die. I was told they use a poly stem and that if you replace it then it solves the issue. Still have not pulled the seater apart to look at it for myself yet though.

I had to bed the stem on my whidden seater to get it consistent. Was leaving rings on the bullets and any slight variation in neck tension caused variations in depth. It's done good since bedding it though. I wouldn't mind trying a hornady set for this 25sst I'm having built if you get a deal made with them in time. If not I'll probably go for the Forster set you offer.

I am a Redding comp snob but I have been using Hornady bushing and Comp seaters for my PRCs and they seem to be making very straight ammo.

I personally do not see the harm in options, unless you are concerned about the cartridges getting bad press because the lower cost will undoubtedly bring in people that may not be as meticulous about there rifle or there loads. It is a balancing act for any new product. I think your cartridges could withstand the negative press.

I personally do not see the harm in options, unless you are concerned about the cartridges getting bad press because the lower cost will undoubtedly bring in people that may not be as meticulous about there rifle or there loads. It is a balancing act for any new product. I think your cartridges could withstand the negative press.
Ya, because man bun wearing gun hippies were certainly harmful to the success of the creedmoor....ha ha jk. All in good humor, no insult intended ha ha

More options is always good. Personally I would use the Forester, but have never used Hornady's dies. I'm a Redding comp. guy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.