SHERMAN DIE OPTION QUESTION

elkaholic

I am considering adding Hornady dies as an option for part or all of the Sherman lines. I would like to know what you guys think as far as quality of their top of the line stuff. I was thinking of bushing sizer and Micrometer seater sets. What do you think?

Any vld bullet seat can be modified to work with the A-tip bullet.

I think that people would appreciate a lower cost option. I have used the Hornady dies and like them, but I have also loaded some very accurate ammo with basic RCBS dies. It's hard to swallow a set of dies that cost nearly as much as a custom barrel, and more people would make the jump if there was some more affordable dies.

Vs the Whidden and Forster you have already?
If they can afford a Sherman round, but can't afford good dies, they can look at the 6.5CM.....
I don't think Sherman cartridges are intended only for those with a large amount of cash to dump into a full custom. One can be made for the cost of a reamer rental and a gun smith to do a chamber job, so in some cases under $200. What about the guys with a nice 30-06 that has less than a couple hundred rounds through it, it shoots well, and they want more performance? The dies cost more then the entire upgrade. Just something to consider.

No problem with Hornady dies. I load my PRCs with Redding bushing dies and regular Hornady dies. Both work great with equal accuracy. To be honest I hesitated on Sherman line due to the cost involved, dies included. Giving the consumer a less expensive option seems like a win. If someone can only work with a specific brand of dies and money is not a concern, they can have them custom made.

I have a set of Hornady custom dies that came with my 338 Allen Mag with a FL sizer and have no complaints. It's always good to have options, I'm sure if you used 10 different options of die brands all them would sell. Everyone has their preferences and price range. I usually by all my components before I have a rifle built. So I'm with Lance, it's hard for me to complain about a top notch set of forster dies that cost $250 when I'm easily paying $6-10k on a scoped rifle with all components. I've been happy with the Forster Sherman dies. Really like how the micro seater increments and knob are much larger than other seating dies. Feels better and is way easier to see the hash marks. I'm not sure how you old timers can see them on most micro seaters.

If you had Hornady when I built the last couple Sherman's I would have went that route. I'm a Redding fan had really good luck with them also used Hornady custom very good results.
Honestly for the price I'm not impressed with the Whidden.
If you do go Hornady I'll probably try a set out.

Some very accurate ammunition has been made with Hornady bushing dies. About what price difference are you exploring?

Some very accurate ammunition has been made with Hornady bushing dies. About what price difference are you exploring?
I need to talk to Hornady some more after I get some more feed back and it depends on which option I take. I would at least like to have the bushing sizer even if I don't choose the micro seater.
It would be a lot less than Whidden and less than Forster too.
I have liked the Hornady bushing sets that I have used early on and found them to work very well!

A bushing die would be great.

I personally prefer not to buy Whidden if I have a choice, not happy with their products vs. their price. This, from using their 260 and 308 die sets, not the Sherman. Been very happy with my Forster sets.

But what is that actual cost savings with Hornady? There would have to be a substantial cost savings there for it to make sense in my opinion, and if the volume of sales of the Hornady, that were pulled away from the Forster dies,ended up hurting the price or availability of the Forster dies. Then in my opinion, that would hurt the Sherman cartridge.

I think it would open up the market to more buyers. I don't have the money to buy 6-10,000 dollar rifles. I probably should have paid more attention in school and made better career decisions. So I am going to speak for that group. I have the action, barrel, trigger and brass so far for my build. After I read some of the reviews on the Whidden dies I held off until the Forester dies came out. I can swing the Forester dies with time to save up for them because I am single. Seemed like the only rout to go since I am not good looking enough to catch a rich woman. But there are fellas that have a family and they have to save everywhere they can. Even with being single if I save $50 or $100 on one component it gives me more options on other components or I get there a little faster. Just my perspective although I could be wrong it's happened before.

I've had great luck with Hornady dies- if this becomes an option, I can definitely see another Sherman in my safe. My Whidden 6.5 Sherman dies are fantastic, but a less costly alternative would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.