Shell holder ?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I bought a #37 RCBS shell holder for .338 lap because that is the shell holder # that RCBS has listed on the dies for the .338 lap. Come to find out the shell holder that I bought was miss stamped @ the factory, it will not even come close to fitting the .338 lap. So I returned it. Nobody had another one on hand locally, so we got to looking @ the packages that the shell holders come in. The #37 lists the .338 lap and the .416 Rigby. Then looked @ the #14, fits several of the big Weatherbys, and the .338 lap ( according to the list on the package ), but not the .416 Rigby.

So, how do you get two different shell holders that fit one cartridge and not another? Does anybody know the diff between the #37 shell holder and the #14 shell holder? Which one should I use for the .338lap? It doesn't make any sense to me being the narrow minded, pure logic driven, person that I am. I'm a little irritated about the running around trying to find a #37 shell holder when I already had a #14 that I use for a 30-378.

Thanks for any insight you can offer, Steve

Last week I ordered some 300 Win Mag brass, and when it arrived today it was .338 Lapua. :eek: Fruedian slip I guess, 'cause I have a 7mmAM on order.:D

Anyhoo, the Lee #8 shellholder will hold that .338 Lapua brass. And I re-ordered the correct brass as well!

There was a catalog number problem by RCBS when the Lapua first came out. They renumbered it but you might have bought one of the ones that was switched. It's easy to get the right one next time your at the sporting goods store. Chances are they will not have .338 lapua brass or ammo to try but they probably will have some 45-70 gvt lying around. Ask the employees if you can try out the shellholder by sliding the 45-70 into it. If it fits, it will fit the .338 lapua like a glove.

I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was getting pretty upset until I called RCBS directly and they told me:

#14 Fits 338 Lapua, Lapua Brass
#37 Fits 338 Lapua, Norma Brass

They should really put a note in the catalog that explains this. I had to make three trips to the gun store and then mail order it from RCBS. Gas and Shipping made the $7 shell holder really expensive.

SES50

Thanks guys, the note was out of frustration more than anything. If I had known I would have just use the #14 that I already had. I still don't understand how the #14 and the #37 fit the 338 and only the #37 fits the 416 rigby. What the hell is the #37 for? I guess the question was already answered, depending on the brand of 338 brass a guy is using.

Thanks again, Steve

When I got my .338LM I got the #37 but it never fit, so I modified it to fit, but I did buy the #14 which works perfectly. The #37 is relegated to the RC BS bench mounted strip priming tool.

I only Lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.