Shell Holder Issue

ramrod79

Guys I am having a shell holder issue my RCBS dies for my 6.5x55 call for a number 2 shell holder, and I have 2 number 2 shell holders one is a Lyman the other is RCBS the issue is the Norma brass will not fit it is too tight as the rim of the brass is just a hair thicker than normal cheap brass . I have never used Norma brass before any ideas on what to do i just need a hair of room in my shell holder does anyone have any tricks to fix this small problem.

I would take a dremel to it. Depending on which part of the rim you're talking about you could remove some matierial with a small sanding drum or a cutoff wheel that's been worn down in diameter by cutting some scrap steel.

The shell indexes off the base of the shell holder so as long as the shell holder gets a decent grip on the case, any that fit decent will work.

What I'm leading to is that an RCBS #3 might work just fine. It fits 7.62 X 39 and a couple others. I have some case holders that stay with certain die sets but also a whole drawer full of various ones. Because the industry can't standardize the numbering scheme, I just grab one and try it. If the case fits and has a reasonably good grip on the extractor groove or rim, I use it.

El matador's idea works also. Since you have 2 that are supposed to be the same, modify one. Without a dremel, you can roll up some 100 grit sandpaper around a drill bit and use it like a sanding drum in a drill and take it down quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.