Shavings when seating bullets

Zerk

When seating 180 grain nosler partions 30-06, in Remington once fired brass, full length sized, I am getting some shavings going in.

Do I need to chamfer the inside of the neck? If so how and with what?

Lee dies.

Seating in neck sized brass, they went in so easy, I was a little worried.

Thanks.

Z, the VLD chamfer tool available from several manufacturers is a good idea. Always check case length and if needed trim, chamfer inside and out. There is a flash hole deburring tool which along with the chamfer tools won't set you back much $. Instructions usually come with the tools. Accuracy starts with consistently for every phase. Good luck

I agree with Dosh, if you are getting the shavings on your FL sized brass, I would think about getting a different die. You are probably getting too much neck tension.

I did not trim. Could that have anything to do with it? I can compare to sized virgin brass.

Thanks.

I did not trim. Could that have anything to do with it? I can compare to sized virgin brass.

Thanks.

Yes, that could have a lot to do with it.

Even you don't trim (which is important), you should chamfer and debug. If you are not the factory brass will add all sorts of variability to you load.

If the case mouths are not square you can't do a good chamfer job .
So case trimming squares the case mouth then you inside outside chamfer .
Gohring3006 could be right neck tension could be too high .

I agree with Dosh, if you are getting the shavings on your FL sized brass, I would think about getting a different die. You are probably getting too much neck tension.

You mean jut get another of the same, this one is bad, or switch companies and presses?

Going to try one of my full sized virgin.

I need to get a trimmer. I just bought a ton new brass, so I haven't need it yet. Still have a bit of new brass.

You mean jut get another of the same, this one is bad, or switch companies and presses?

I need to get a trimmer. I just bought a ton new brass, so I haven't need it yet. Still have a bit of new brass.

You still need to trim all to the same length for uniformity.

I think even new brass you need to square the mouth of the case. I had purchased some nickel cases ,that were being crushed when I was seating the bullets. I purchased a Lyman VLD reamer and had no problems after that point. The edge of the mouth of new cases are rough and need to be squared and made uniform.lightbulb

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/822768/hornady-dial-caliper-6-stainless-steel
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/315831/hornady-cam-lock-case-trimmer-kit
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/135615/lyman-case-prep-multi-tool
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/729748/lyman-flash-hole-uniformer-tool

Here is a list of basic case prep tools. New brass needs this prep too. Lapua and Norma brass not as much. Go through your new batch of brass and find the shortest one then trim them all to that length. Chamfer inside and out, uniform the primer pocket, and deburr the flash hole. Keep an eye on the case length with each reload and adjust as needed. When ever you trim the brass you need to chamfer inside and out. The chamfer will stop the brass from scraping shavings off the bullets.

Steve

The thing about trying a new standard FL die is you are gambling on the new one being less tight and it may be worse.
I switched over to bushing dies and Lee collet dies with a Redding body die for all of my cartridges. That way I can control the neck tension.

How about removing the expander during the resizing?
Removing the expanded will make the neck tension worse. The die oversized the the neck, and the expander expands it to a usable tension.
Some guys do remove the expander and never put it back. But evidently they do not get jacket shavings.
If the op is already getting shavings, then removing the expander will make things worst.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.