Shavings when seating bullets

As far as trimming to shortest in batch of new brass. Are you not throwing out all your previous data? I would think you would want to stick with one length, making short ones practice.

By shooting once, are you not stretching them to what you want? I would think shooting them until long enough would be best. Saving ideal ones for longer shots.

As far as trimming to shortest in batch of new brass. Are you not throwing out all your previous data? I would think you would want to stick with one length, making short ones practice.

If you look at the reloading data listed in your manual, it has a "trim to" length listed. Don't trim them any shorter than that. If you have new brass that is shorter than the listed "trim to" length, I would not trim all of the cases to the length of that shortest brass.

As far as a affordable fast trimmer that is very accurate I use a Lee Deluxe Quick trim, Lee also offers it in a power trim version.

Check it out:

http://leeprecision.com/offers.php

Case Trimming Tools

FOR SAFETY SAKE, TRIM YOUR CASES

Ultimate in Case Trimming Speed and Convenience with Deluxe Power Quick Trim

PowerQT.jpg
Deluxe Power Quick Trim allows you to trim and chamfer in a matter of seconds. Hex shank snaps in to cordless screwdriver or drill (sold separately).
To complete your trimming setup, order cartridge specific pistol Quick Trim die or rifle Quick Trim die.
Includes Power Quick Trim Adapter, chip catcher and deluxe cutter assembly.

90670.jpg

Already own a Quick Trim Press Mounted Case Trimmer? Order the Power Quick Trim Adapter

Quick Trim Press Mounted Case Trimming Convenience

With the addition of inexpensive cartridge specific Quick Trim Die body, you will be able to quickly and precisely trim your brass to the correct length with press-mounted convenience. Order cartridge specific pistol Quick Trim die or rifle Quick Trim die.
Availabe in two different configurations:
Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer (Trims case to SAAMI specs & chamfers case mouth at same time)
Value Quick Trim (Trims case to SAAMI specs)

If you look at the reloading data listed in your manual, it has a "trim to" length listed. Don't trim them any shorter than that. If you have new brass that is shorter than the listed "trim to" length, I would not trim all of the cases to the length of that shortest brass.
The length of the case neck within a few thou here and there makes no difference to accuracy at all . This is just old wives tales. Very short necks are not good as it can encourage carbon ring . However cases are made to min and max SAAMI specs and the minimum spec is fine . The only way to get a batch all the same is to trim to the shortest case . So you would leave the shorter cases untrimmed is that the plan or throw them out ? Ridiculous.

The length of the case neck within a few thou here and there makes no difference to accuracy at all . This is just old wives tales. Very short necks are not good as it can encourage carbon ring . However cases are made to min and max SAAMI specs and the minimum spec is fine . The only way to get a batch all the same is to trim to the shortest case . So you would leave the shorter cases untrimmed is that the plan or throw them out ? Ridiculous.

Ok, I don't get this.

1) "The length of the case neck within a few thou here and there makes no difference to accuracy at all."

2) "The only way to get a batch all the same is to trim to the shortest case ."

3) "This is just old wives tales. Very short necks are not good as it can encourage carbon ring . "

So, why not leave the shortest cases untrimmed?
1) Fire them to form them
2) Size them a couple times without trimming them.
3) Once all pieces of brass are at a longer and approcking SAAMI spec, them trim them back a couple thou.

This would give a little longer neck that would help reduce the carbon ring.

I agree with barrelnut. Don't trim ALL to the shortest IF the shortest is less than minimum length. I would trim the cases to the "trim to" length, and the ones that are shorter, load them and shoot them. They will stretch the most on the first firing anyway. Then you can trim to the "trim to" length if needed.
I never said anything about throwing the "shorter" ones away. I agree that is ridiculous, especially at the price they charge for the brass. Shoot them and they will stretch.

Ok, I don't get this.

1) "The length of the case neck within a few thou here and there makes no difference to accuracy at all."

2) "The only way to get a batch all the same is to trim to the shortest case ."

3) "This is just old wives tales. Very short necks are not good as it can encourage carbon ring . "

So, why not leave the shortest cases untrimmed?
1) Fire them to form them
2) Size them a couple times without trimming them.
3) Once all pieces of brass are at a longer and approcking SAAMI spec, them trim them back a couple thou.

This would give a little longer neck that would help reduce the carbon ring.
You can do it that way if you want it's fine but you may still have some shorter cases to deal with . Just a lot of mucking about for no good reason . The amount of extra neck length attained would be inconsequential to carbon ring buildup .

Starting out on the accuracy thing. I am going to now chamfer all new brass. But for my needs, will probably shoot them, until need to be trimmed.

Though I plan on playing with to see if I am leaving to much on the table waiting.

I like to shoot. So I can have one pile that is not quite as good. My home range is only 100 yards. But if I start trimming and finding it makes a huge difference I will. I hunt at 40 yards, accuracy is just for fun. Working up loads for someday maybe get a chance to go out west.

Below on the left is a case mouth of a once fired case that had been trimmed and deburred, fired and then wet tumbled with stainless steel media and left in the tumbler too long and peened the case mouth. On the right is a brand new case as it came from the factory, it also was pounded during tumbling by the factory,

Bottom line I trim and deburr new cases and any case that has been wet tumbled. Meaning I trim the cases every time they are fired.

So to answer your question "is new brass that bad" and the answer is yes. To me the main purpose of reloading is to make better ammo than factory loaded.

CIxnlIW.jpg

I agree good post .
Not withstanding too long in the tumbler . Other problems could be too many cases or not enough media or media too large .
My small batches of precision ammo I don't tumble . I clean them up on a case spinner using fine wire wool.

I have been tumbling after I resize, to get lube off. You can wipe the outside, but how do you get lube off the inside?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.