Shavings when seating bullets

I would deburr and champfer a piece of brass that you know will shave a bullet. If that works, then you found your problem.
If it is new brass I would not trim, yet... I would deburr and champfer all the new brass, load it and fireform it. Then I would set my die up to bump .002" and then trim just enough off to square it all up and deburr.

I have been tumbling after I resize, to get lube off. You can wipe the outside, but how do you get lube off the inside?

Don't use sticky lubes on the inside of the case neck . Mix up 50% fine lock graphite and 50% Moly MoS2 . Get a small tin and put some steel shot in it and add some mixture . Shake it about each time before use with lid held on tight . Open it and dip the case necks in and out a few times to get some dry lube on the outside and inside of the neck . Run your fingers around the case neck to help it grip . Alternately buy a Lee collet die and 99% of the time you don't need any lube . That just leaves the outside body to be sized if and when required using sticky lubes that can be wiped off easily .

I use Lee die. I have been using Lee lube on outside, and qtip around inside.

I had some stuck cases with lanolin and alcohol type from Cabelas. That may be because I was not letting them sit long enough? I would spray, or ad ad spray as I was going.

So I have had 2 stuck with my Lees, not lubing properly. I have one more back up pin.

But I am curious to what people do for lubing inside of neck. Lubing brass is probably my least favorite part of all this. One thing I hate dealing with, for bottle necks. Maybe need to get some monster straight wall cartridge. Some African game killer for white tail.

I have stuck cases with the Oneshot and will no longer use it. I use Unique lube on my fingers and put just enough to finely coat the outside of the case. I will scrape my finger over the case mouth to put a very small amount on the edge, not enough to really even see. The amount left inside the case mouth after sizing is minute. I then wipe my cases down with alcohol to remove any lube residue. I will also give a little spritz of Remoil in the die now and then. Keeps them running very smooth.

Steve

I use Lee die. I have been using Lee lube on outside, and qtip around inside.

I had some stuck cases with lanolin and alcohol type from Cabelas. That may be because I was not letting them sit long enough? I would spray, or ad ad spray as I was going.

So I have had 2 stuck with my Lees, not lubing properly. I have one more back up pin.

You must be using a standard Lee die with expander ball because the Lee Collet die does not need any neck lube unless the case necks are extremely soft . Then you just use some dry lube . You never put wet lubes inside the case neck .
If you use a Redding body die to size stuck cases are a breeze to knock out if they do happen which is very rare due to no neck sizing going on and no decapping rods in the way .

Chamfered inside tonight. Maybe less shavings. Noticed the Noslers have the shavings, Hornady nothing. Loaded bother tonight.

You must be using a standard Lee die with expander ball because the Lee Collet die does not need any neck lube unless the case necks are extremely soft . Then you just use some dry lube . You never put wet lubes inside the case neck .
If you use a Redding body die to size stuck cases are a breeze to knock out if they do happen which is very rare due to no neck sizing going on and no decapping rods in the way .

I have Lee deluxe set which includes full size and neck sizing. My understanding is neck sizing are collet dies.

I do both. But I have 3 30-06, all hunting rifles, so I do lean towards full size.

I am not sure if I need to neck lube. Some where I started doing it. When I started loading bottle necks, I got stalled for a year, when shell got stuck sizing. Lost momentum. Been lubing with Lee outside and some in the neck.

I am open to suggestions. Lubing is one of more tedious aspects of reloading.

I have Lee deluxe set which includes full size and neck sizing. My understanding is neck sizing are collet dies.

I do both. But I have 3 30-06, all hunting rifles, so I do lean towards full size.

I am not sure if I need to neck lube. Some where I started doing it. When I started loading bottle necks, I got stalled for a year, when shell got stuck sizing. Lost momentum. Been lubing with Lee outside and some in the neck.

I am open to suggestions. Lubing is one of more tedious aspects of reloading.
I would order a Redding body die and use it with the collet die.
Maybe some imperial dry neck lube,

Are collet dies for neck sizing only?

I have had shavings with neck sized brass too. For 30-06 have only loaded Nosler and Hornady. The shavings so far are only Nosler. Problem? Dunno.

Are collet dies for neck sizing only?

I have had shavings with neck sized brass too. For 30-06 have only loaded Nosler and Hornady. The shavings so far are only Nosler. Problem? Dunno.

Yes, they only neck size.
Two different dies/techniques still shaving. It's got to be champfer and deburr. Or, bullet jacket flaws. Maybe manufacturing defect, too soft...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts