Serious wear & marks on the bolt of a new rifle. Is this normal?

Derek2005

Hope get some advices for this problem, it make me so frustrated.

I just picked up a brand new Mossberg patriot

Looking at the bolt of the rifle, which I still haven't inserted into the rifle at all, I saw these serious wear marks in the finish on the lugs, both sides.

Have you seen this on new rifles before? is it common for such kind of budget rifle ?
Should I ask replacement from dealer or Mossberg service?

Would that happen from the test firing in the factory, or does it indicate that the bolt has been used or comes from a used rifle?

Thank you in advance.

1642306038571.jpeg

1642306071617.jpeg

1642306092852.jpeg

1642306114948.jpeg

Hi Derek,
While it does looks a little rougher than normal for a new gun there is nothing to worry about there. While you could likely get it replaced it will be a hassle as they will need to whole gun to ensure headspace is correct. If it bothers you get some cold blue from Brownell's but it will wear off eventually. I would throw it in the rifle and go shooting.

Yes...It is more common on a budget rifle due to mass production and less attention to detail.
It doesn't necessarily mean it won't shoot well.
I'd do what eklarsen said and go shoot it. It'll wear in time and smooth out.
I've used JB's (blue worded) lapping compound to lap in the lugs on a few rifles before which smooths out the rough machining quicker.

Last edited:
They probably cycle the bolt to check lock up and extraction and ejection
Blacken the back of the locking lugs and see if they are equal in engagement.

Looks like - "or does it indicate that the bolt has been used or comes from a used rifle" - That part, most likely, from Mossberg's parts bin. Lots of wear from just assembly inspection. Wear appears to be only cosmetic. Trust Mossberg to have headspace OK.

It has been in your rifle many times. Whether you put it there or not. They have to complete the rifle to check headspace, test the trigger, test feed/extraction and to fire it. So, yes, it should have some wear. It will wear more as you break the rifle in.

It's a Mossberg, not a GAP. It is the basic of basic, there is a minimum amount of "fit" and the cost reflects that. As long as it locks up tight and goes boom, cosmetic issues should be overlooked.

I have several Mossberg shotguns and a couple of cheap beater rifles, they ain't pretty, but they work just like a fat girl at closing time.

Hope get some advices for this problem, it make me so frustrated.

I just picked up a brand new Mossberg patriot

Looking at the bolt of the rifle, which I still haven't inserted into the rifle at all, I saw these serious wear marks in the finish on the lugs, both sides.

Have you seen this on new rifles before? is it common for such kind of budget rifle ?
Should I ask replacement from dealer or Mossberg service?

Would that happen from the test firing in the factory, or does it indicate that the bolt has been used or comes from a used rifle?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 330950
View attachment 330951
View attachment 330952
View attachment 330953
Not sure where you got it from, but it could be a display model. People love to rack the bolt, usually several times at the gun store for whatever reason. That would be my bet. I would just shoot it. I have picked up a couple rifles on gunbroker that showed a little more use than advertised, but I usually got them for good deals and just shot them.

I have a Patriot for my wife and yes it's an entry level rifle. It is a hunting accurate rifle and not a target rifle. I like it.

I wouldn't sweat the cosmetic detail of the bolt, just how it locks up on the action (loaded) and how it shoots.

How does the bolt face look?