Marks on the bolt of a new rifle. Is this normal?

Brian564

I just picked up a brand new Remington 700.

Looking at the bolt of the rifle, which I still haven't inserted into the rifle at all, I saw these wear marks in the finish on the lungs, both sides.

QsUpsFc.jpg

YItJGYy.jpg

Have you seen this on new rifles before?

Would that happen from the test firing in the factory, or does it indicate that the bolt has been used or comes from a used rifle?

Thank you in advance.

I don't have a good answer for you.

Take a look at the bolt face and the area around the extractor. If there is a significant amount of brass particles there there may be somewhat of a question.

I haven't bought a 'new' gun in so long I wouldn't know what to look for. Though my son-in-law paid new price for a used savage but it shoots so darn good we didn't make an issue of it.

To me, that doesn't look like anything to worry about. Remington has the bolt in and out of the gun a number of times when the build it. They also probably fire a couple rounds through it to proof it before shipping it out so there may be some brass flecks on the bolt face. Plus there are probably a lot of people in the supply chain between Remington and your gun shop that handled it to check serial numbers and generally fondle it.

A few years ago I bought a .223 700 VSSF II that was dirty like it spent a day at the range. I almost left it there. Glad I didn't because it is the most accurate 'factory' rifle I ever owned.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.