Is this mark/scuff normal? 60 rounds through this barrel.

slathar55

Video of my 223 Rem barrel where the rifling starts. Please provide any and all feedback on if this is normal. If not what could have caused it?

Video of my 223 Rem barrel where the rifling starts. Please provide any and all feedback on if this is normal. If not what could have caused it?

New barrels suffer from the ruff edges of machining . With time the edges are flattened out. Your bullet has scored the bore and a copper cleaner is needed. To help your bore after you clean it up is jewelers paste or bore Brite that helps flatten the edges faster than just shooting more rounds. IMHO this is the way of modern barrel makers the finnish work is the most human involved work and thus not done

I have a "79" Rem 700 308 with factory hammer forged barrel. The barrel has three pieces of metal (assume left over from reaming) hammered into the barrel. It shoots less than .5 MOA with 155 to 175 Sierras. So although it is ugly under a bore scope and is lousy barrel cleaning from the manufacturer before hammer forging it is pretty acceptable for a factory heavy varmint rifle. It would be totally unacceptable from any custom barrel manufacturer IMO.

I don't know your causes, and you can of course mess with it all you want,, but I'd screw it off right there and toss it in the nearest dumpster.
My time and powder/bullets/primers/brass are worth more than a messed up barrel.

And I would never again use whoever finished that barrel.

That's nothing that happened till after you had a bunch of rounds through it, the fowling has no shadow and it has a hard line, almost looks like a flake of lead mashed in there. I think it's something over previous fouling so should come out.

If it shoots, shoot it. I don't scope barrels, because they either shoot or they don't. I've seen these videos and pictures where the barrels look like they were the remnants of a bad car accident, but the owner claimed that they shot .5moa.

It makes no difference what it looks like, only how it shoots.

Purchased a bore scope last year. First barrel I scoped was my 300 Win mag BSA. Rifle I purchased in 1974, when I knew absolutely nothing about shooting or rifles I believe I may have only cleaned the barrel the proper way about 1982. Anaway when I scoped the barrel it looked worst than the inside of a 100 yr old sewer pipe. Throat looked like an alagator that had died sometime in the 90's. Bottom line is the gun still shoots just over 1/2 MOA. As some have posted as long as it shoots all is good.