Is this normal quality of kimber

Is it a coned breach face? If the cut is at the outer edge of the coned breach it might not be near the bolt face-case head interface and would not be an issue.

I called kimber and they told me that all there rifles have this flaw
I would think that if this was by design to vent gasses from a case rupture, it would be in their advertising. On the other hand, if they say "all their rifles have this flaw", they are admitting that it is a quality control issue that they feel comfortable with you dealing with - and all their other customers. I had a Kimber in .223 Remington that had the chamber cut out of line with the bore. I could not rechamber a reloaded round unless it was rotated to the same orientation in which it was last fired. Kimber would not remedy the problem, so I sold the rifle at a huge discount.

I called kimber and they told me that all there rifles have this flaw

I called the sales and service office at Kalispell, Montana (trying to keep it local 😇 ) and they asked if I can send a picture so I sent yours (I hope that was OK). Hopefully, they'll provide some kind of explanation better than what you were told.

Ed

My Kimber 243 has the same cut as yours. I probably have 500 rounds down with no issues at all. You will need to shoot plenty of rounds down that barrel before you see any type of accuracy. If I ever bought another kimber I would run some tubbs final finsh before I tried to do load development.

I have 2 Kimbers from around 30 years ago back when they were in Oregon. They do not have that odd looking defect. Maybe now that they are made in New York it is considered fine.
Easy now it's the cities and politics that ruin the beautiful state of New York. Remember where Remington's historical footprint is! We're all 🇺🇸

I called the sales and service office at Kalispell, Montana (trying to keep it local 😇 ) and they asked if I can send a picture so I sent yours (I hope that was OK). Hopefully, they'll provide some kind of explanation better than what you were told.

Ed

I could not wait for an email response, so I called them again before the OP's simple query turn into another unnecessary bashing thread. The verdict is that it is NOT a flaw, but by design and as others noted, it is a cut (safety design) to help relieve pressure/gas vent.

Ed

Last edited:
Wish I could buy the gas vent explanation, but can't. Why vent gas into the barrel/action threads where it has no other place to go unless the thread match is REALLY sloppy? Seems more likely to me that they cut a slot in the barrel threads to clear the front action screw. A slot would have to be aligned vertically but would be a lot easier than trying to hit a hole. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.