Is this normal?

Hbomb11

So I have a Remington 700 7mm rem mag with factory barrel and action bedded and floated in a Manners EH6 . Whenever I run round rounds through my chamber it leaves these marks on my bullets. There are tick marks running vertically on the bullet and ring marks about 1/8" above the brass. Is this normal for 168 gr berger vld's? It is HSM ammo. It takes some force to close the bolt but it is like that with all of the different ammo I have tried. I've tried federal premium 160 Nosler Partitions, 162 gr hornady eldx's, federal premium 165 gr sierra gamekings, and the hsm 168 berger vlds. The VLDs definitely shoot the best with easily 1" groups or less and the worst was the hornady 162s which i could barely get to group 2". When I first got the gun it had to be shipped back to remingtion because all ammo would get stuck in the chamber and couldn't extract it. I don't remember exactly what they did to it. There is also some shavings of brass in the chamber which i think are from when i lock down the bolt. Is this normal or should I take it to a smith after hunting season? Thank you in advance for your time.
IMG_0461.jpg

I'm guessing its jamming into the lands. Probably a saami spec chamber without a lot of freebore. Wouldn't hurt to get the chamber looked at with a borescope though.

Are the loads crimped? If not what causing the marks on the neck of the brass??

It almost looks like the brass is hitting the rifling. IF thats not crimp marks.

Whoa... be careful with that one. Watch for over pressure signs if it is fact jamming the bullet into the lands. What do your primers look like? Any sign of the case base (primer end) "smearing" after shooting them?

The marks on the top of the brass come like that from HSM. It must be part of there loading process I would guess. I haven't noticed anything on the spent rounds but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by smearing.

Post some close pictures of the back of your case showing the primer.

On the base of your case where the writing is... there can be gall marks if your rifle is shooting over pressured, almost like the brass is smeared or gouged. Also can distort the writing. Are your primers overly flattened? Any faint ring around the firing pin indention on your primers?
If the rings on the actual bullet are apparent on ALL makes of ammo, I am inclined to agree with the above posters that the bullets are jamming into the lands due to improper chamber cutting/short throat. This can cause exessive... and dangerous pressure spikes. Most bullets do well with .080-.010 jump.into the lands. Some reloaders will load just to touch the lands slightly, but adjust their charges to accomodate the pressure.
Not trying to spread doom and gloom, but this could be a hazardous situation if all brands of ammo are exhibiting the marks on the bullet.
Regardless, factory ammo is sized very short to accomodate variances in manufacturers chambers to avoid over pressure. If your rifle is binding while working a round in the action, something is definitely not right.

Actually, ejector/plunger marks, but extractor marks can also be indicative.
Caused by over pressure pushing the brass into the plunger hole, then when the bolt is worked, it leaves a shiny "smear" mark, for lack of better terminology.
If your ammo is at this point you may want to up your insurance a bit.
Pic/videos are easily located on the net under "signs of over pressure", etc.

Have you checked the length of the cartridge case ? And the length of the cartridge neck , above the shoulder junction ? Just a wild guess on my part , but in the photo of the 3 cartridges , the case necks look somewhat longer than typical proportions of 7MM Remington Magnum cases .

sharpie that bullet and casing and you'll be able to see where your rubbing actually is. Those aren't rifling marks on your bullets but I suspect you have a rather tight freebore and you are getting a bit of rub. As to the scuffing along the bullet, that is feed ramp scuffing.
I can't even use HSM in my 7stw as they are using Bertram brass lately, and that stuff is too short for my chamber without creating a false shoulder...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.