Serious question

I snuck my Mossberg 500 I bought for $72 into my dorm room and used it to hunt swamp rabbits and quail along the Deep Fork River south of Muskogee. I couldn't tell you if it was against the rules or not, I guessed it was, that's why I snuck it in, but several guys on the baseball team had theirs and we fed ourselves plenty of meals on those giant rabbits. I had never seen one before then, and it was hard to believe how huge they were compared to cottontails. A couple of the city boys killed a bunch of meadowlarks, and they were cleaning them in the bathroom thinking they were quail. I was going to let them eat them, but one of the country boys couldn't keep a straight face when he saw them and called them all kinds of derogatory names, insulting their intelligence through his own laughter. I really wanted to see how well they liked them after they fried them up.

I bet if we all got together with our childhood stories and put them into a book "Simple Times & Great Lives" it would be a best seller and when people have read the book with all the great true-life stories, they would have a tear or two.
I know reading some of these posts now from our friends, I reflect back to my own childhood and have a tear rolling down my cheek!

More importantly, why did you allow this to offend you to the point of feeling the need to comment?
It's a good thing to remind our younger viewers that there are healthier alternatives to the modern worldly lifestyle and that there are still folks around who can mentor them in those healthier alternatives.

Just my $0.02

Ed
I'm not offended at all, I just don't understand how this forum has turned into a geriatric coffee shop.

Nothing wrong with some reminiscing. Nearly every post on this thread talks about growing up hunting, fishing, or trapping. Seems like something that belongs on a hunting forum, at least to me
LRH is not a Gun Broker, or other Lame Forums on Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, GS.
We are a Community of Hunters, Shooters, Reloaders, GS looking for knowledge and sharing knowledge. Most of all most of us a friends - a community that shares and cares about each other. Over the past couple of years, we have had conversations with 100s of members and forged friendships, many probably for a lifetime.
Sharing true life stories and also bringing issues that are occurring in our Country is communication on what is affecting all of us not only for shooting, but for our personal lives. We get more information about what effects the 2nd and shooting supplies and our economy than off the internet. We don't really watch the news and only see what pops up on our internet page when doing a search. How many times did the group help out with information when a member had a problem with a household issue or a vehicle.

Forgot about this until old rooster mentioned knives.

Dated a girl in high school that carried a speying knife. Told me she knew how to use it. Grew up on a farm.
Some may not know what that knife is for,I remember it well!
I never had the courage to eat the testicles we cut out but remember the process very well.

I'm not offended at all, I just don't understand how this forum has turned into a geriatric coffee shop.
So your gonna knock the older generation "geriatric coffee talk" for reminiscing about the good ol days, but then also ask them for help and advice when needed?

Think you need to go take a hard look in the mirror, gonna burn bridges and those "geriatrics" ain't gonna help you out.

For those of us who lived through the 60's and after before everything was so messed up and fast paced.
What do you really regret that your children and grandchildren missed out on??
For me it was being able to live a life without anything electronic, and being able to open your imagination.
Spending time fishing all by yourself or just a sibling, exploring everything outdoors by yourself and learning life lessons.
I had to ride my bike to town 3 miles and another 3 miles to get to school.
I wish my children and grandkids could have experienced life the way it used to be before all this fast paced technology life they have to live
I agree with you having grown up in the 60s with a neighborhood full of kids to play ball with, making the 1.5 hour trek to my grand parents house for the holidays to see my aunts and uncles and cousins. Adult played cards most the times, kids just played with each other, TV on not so much at all. Now it is the devices and video games and god know what else is online. I did not have a long trek to school, but walked everyday. My dad told me enjoy being a kid because when school ends whether high school or college you will work the rest of your life. My daughters I did not not want them to work until they graduated out of high school, knowing they were both going to college. My first wife balked at this as well as my funding their college, buying them cars, etc. But I knew life will be hard when they grew up. I am thankful for my memories good and bad. My daughter from my 2nd marriage, goes shooting with me when we can, I treat her the same as the other two, no grand kids though. But life now is different as our country is degrading in what I believe is our morale compass and as a country. The media touts globalism as the theme mimicking the political party in power at the national, state and local levels versus nationalism. It is a shame as those of us that have traveled extensively around our world understands our freedoms only we enjoy, especially when you see how other countries are run. I am not against immigration but understand we must do what is right for our country and not let things be a free for all. As 9/11 was not that long ago, and terrorist organizations still exist that want to bring harm to our nation and our citizens. I am proud to be an American. I hope some day soon we will all be united again.

Another HUGE thing. When I was in Grade School at a Little School House we were allowed to bring in our .22 rifles and single shot shotguns. The teachers had us put them in the closet in the back of the room. We would hunt on the way to school and on the way home.
Boy think about that to todays environment!!!!! Being able to bring a firearm to school with you.
And to believe we didn't have school shootings back then.
Even some times one of the teachers would go hunting either before school or after.
We were able to keep our guns in our locker and in our vehicle.

Len beat me. We used to bring our shotgun and ammo to school on the bus,then go to a friend's place (on a bus) to hunt after school. Then back home via school the next day. Shotgun was kept in locker at school.

When I was 7 I could back a hay wagon behind a tractor. At 12 drove a tandem truck to the grain elevator 10 miles to town,through town and back. Now days people can't drive anything with a clutch pedal, semi drivers included.

At 14 rode my bike to the gun store to buy a .22 with paper route money. Bought ammo without a parent.

As a kid I put more miles on a bike then I could even imagine. Used to replace tires at least every year and sometimes between.
Yep 👍
When I was 8 I was hauling cattle in a 40' gooseneck and driving a 75 ford 3/4 ton 4x4.
When I was 12 I was hauling cattle from the Texas state line to the Kansas line in a cab over peterbuilt.
Fun times 😂

I snuck my Mossberg 500 I bought for $72 into my dorm room and used it to hunt swamp rabbits and quail along the Deep Fork River south of Muskogee. I couldn't tell you if it was against the rules or not, I guessed it was, that's why I snuck it in, but several guys on the baseball team had theirs and we fed ourselves plenty of meals on those giant rabbits. I had never seen one before then, and it was hard to believe how huge they were compared to cottontails. A couple of the city boys killed a bunch of meadowlarks, and they were cleaning them in the bathroom thinking they were quail. I was going to let them eat them, but one of the country boys couldn't keep a straight face when he saw them and called them all kinds of derogatory names, insulting their intelligence through his own laughter. I really wanted to see how well they liked them after they fried them up.
Man oh man, I used to hunt swamp rabbits south of Muskogee with a long bow.
That was fun