serious opinion

huntnjim

Got a
blue Sheep/Tahr hunt coming up in April this year in the Himalayas. I have a very nice LR rifle from Gunwerks that I am comfortable shooting the 375 ruger necked to 7mm but weighs almost 13# with scope.
If you had your choice of a mtn rifle for around 130 to 140 grain bullet what would you choose for LR?

Got a
blue Sheep/Tahr hunt coming up in April this year in the Himalayas. I have a very nice LR rifle from Gunwerks that I am comfortable shooting the 375 ruger necked to 7mm but weighs almost 13# with scope.
If you had your choice of a mtn rifle for around 130 to 140 grain bullet what would you choose for LR?

In a short action with the smaller cases I would look at the 6.5x47 and creedmor with the 130's. In a long action I would take advantage of case size and shoot the 140's out of a any of the following 260, 6.5-06, 6.5-284, or 264 Win. Ive owned several 6.5-284's and a 264 win and like them both but there are plenty of others that will work the same.
Dont know how much you hand load or want to go through, fire form etc.

Got a
I'd look at something in .260 Rem 6.5x284 or .264wm in a platform similar to the Mod 70 Extreme Weather that Winchester is putting out these days.

No you won't shoot tiny little 5 shot groups with it unless you take your time between shots, but mine is extremely accurate for three shots and is an absolute joy to carry.

The M70 featherweights would be another way to go.

In a short action with the smaller cases I would look at the 6.5x47 and creedmor with the 130's. In a long action I would take advantage of case size and shoot the 140's out of a any of the following 260, 6.5-06, 6.5-284, or 264 Win. Ive owned several 6.5-284's and a 264 win and like them both but there are plenty of others that will work the same.
Dont know how much you hand load or want to go through, fire form etc.

Great suggestion on calibers. The 6.5x47L is a real shooter and the Berger 130 VLD is perfect for this cartridge. After carrying a Weatherby 30-378 Accumark in the mountains on one hunt I built a Rem 700 titanium 7mm-08 Ackley and I shoot berger 140 VLD and Hornady 139 SST's and I can carry it all day in the steepest terrain with no problem The Weatherby felt like a telephone pole. Where you are going every ounce will matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.