Serious question

victor3ranger

For those of us who lived through the 60's and after before everything was so messed up and fast paced.
What do you really regret that your children and grandchildren missed out on??
For me it was being able to live a life without anything electronic, and being able to open your imagination.
Spending time fishing all by yourself or just a sibling, exploring everything outdoors by yourself and learning life lessons.
I had to ride my bike to town 3 miles and another 3 miles to get to school.
I wish my children and grandkids could have experienced life the way it used to be before all this fast paced technology life they have to live

I didn't grow up in the 60s but still enjoyed the same things.

Used to be able to hunt from one property to the next without a care. One neighbor would scold me every fall because I asked permission to hunt.
"You know you don't need to ask."
Then, next fall, I'd ask again and get the same response.

Narrow 2 lane road to town, no shoulders.

Could lay in bed and listen to Wolfman Jack on the cheap little Emerson AM radio, kept the volume low so Mom and Dad didn't hear that we weren't going to bed.

Got into trouble for shooting the neighbor kid with the bb gun but at least the lawyers didn't show up at our door.

Spend countless hours out in the woods and swamps learning who I was.
I think that is the single most important lesson that very few, if any, learn anymore.

Kids, anymore, develop into who they are based on the "influencers" that Google thinks they should see.
It aint right but its the truth.

Last edited:
The 60's were a time of wonder for me. I was just a boy born in 1959. I spent most of my waking hours outside in the late 60's. Maybe coming to the house for something to eat and to sleep when I wasn't in school. Life was simple, but adventures abound. Stimulus came from doing something physical and mentally challenging unlike what many kids experience today. My view of the world was based on experiences and listening to my elders. It may have been a narrower view than kids today, but it was a great time to grow up.
Every generation can point to the signicant changes that have occurred during a full life. I can only imagine what will change in the next 65 years.

That was a long time ago, and things were slower paced for sure. I caught my first fish, trapped my first muskrat and shot my first rabbit for the stew pot in the sixties. We lived out in the country, and our lifestyle was what "preppers" try to learn today. It was daily life to us. I used to sit up in the evenings with my grandpa and talk while having coffee with him to show how grown up I was. He was born in 1893, during the horse and buggy days. He fought in WW1, delivered mail with a horse and buggy. I really enjoyed the stories of his era and into what was then modern times. Today when we have a family gathering, my grandkids usually don't get off of their phones. I just slip off into my reloading room.
Yes it was a great time to grow up.

Today when we have a family gathering, my grandkids usually don't get off of their phones.
Therein lies, what I truly believe, one of the biggest threats to our Country today. Hell, it very well could be a world wide plague.

The younger generations have zero clue what reality is. All they know is what the paid "influencer" tells them.

And since us older folks are completely disregarded, they won't even listen to reason.

Unfortunately, they'll never ever know the truth because the internet has so much misinformation that how can they possibly see the truth through all the bs?

No cell phones didn't have a land line either, always had company. Hunted pheasants and quail by the hours before school, after school and on weekends. So much that dad finally purchased a mec reloader. All kinds of community functions, swimming parties, fishing trips then get together and have a fish fry, card parties, 4th July picnic, etc. Hunting deer and elk with my dad and friends, sitting around listening to all the Hunting stories. Guess I could go on but you probably get the idea. Simpler times, didn't have much but we thought we were rich.

I can give countless stories of a good life and growing up with God, Family, Country. Started shooting a .22 Savage Pump in 1960 a few years later did the fishing, hunting, trapping, learning to be a "Woodsman", walked everywhere, when 7-8 years old walked to my grandmother's house through the woods and dirt roads BY MYSELF.
The only way a child can experience like we had in the 60's is to have a home in the County, no access to the internet, no cell phones. only a land line telephone, no cable TV only Rabbit Ears to pick up broadcast TV, no FM radio only AM, several bricks of .22s, a fishing pole ZEBCO, night crawler caught at night with a light after a rain, and most important have a Church to go to with family!

Being born in the 50's, the 60's brought me to an age where my opportunities to learn what I really liked to do grew rapidly. At 10, I was going to hunt and fish every day when I grew up. Looking back at those days , I can remember the stories from both sets of grandparents about what it was like when they were kids and how lucky I was to be living in a time when I didn't have to work long days and I could be a kid. They were right. I wish everyday that I could tell my grandkids how much better they have it than I did, but I can't. We truly grew up in the best of times.

No cell phones didn't have a land line either, always had company. Hunted pheasants and quail by the hours before school, after school and on weekends. So much that dad finally purchased a mec reloader. All kinds of community functions, swimming parties, fishing trips then get together and have a fish fry, card parties, 4th July picnic, etc. Hunting deer and elk with my dad and friends, sitting around listening to all the Hunting stories. Guess I could go on but you probably get the idea. Simpler times, didn't have much but we thought we were rich.
Absolutely.
We didn't have much but what we did have was worth more than money could buy.

I didn't grow up in the 60s but still enjoyed the same things.

Used to be able to hunt from one property to the next without a care. One neighbor would scold me every fall because I asked permission to hunt.
"You know you don't need to ask."
Then, next fall, I'd ask again and get the same response.

Narrow 2 lane road to town, no shoulders.

Could lay in bed and listen to Wolfman Jack on the cheap little Emerson AM radio, kept the volume low so Mom and Dad didn't hear that we weren't going to bed.

Got into trouble for shooting the neighbor kid with the bb gun but at least the lawyers didn't show up at our door.

Spend countless hours out in the woods and swamps learning who I was.
I think that is the single most important lesson that very few, if any, learn anymore.

Kids, anymore, develop into who they are based on the "influencers" that Google thinks they should see.
It aint right but its the truth.
HA!
I left the BB Gun fights we had in the coal strippings in the mountains out of my earlier Post. Had a BB or two that penetrated my skin from a friend shooting me. I had to barrow a BB Gun because my father gave me a .22 instead of a BB gun.

In the fall, came home from football practice, fed the cattle, and in last light, hunted ducks.
In winter, cattle, then rabbits.
Spring, baseball, then cattle, then fishing.
Summer, hauling hay, run a few miles pre-football, swim in strip pits.

About Sophomore year, added guitars and girls.

Very poor then, but would trade all I have to do it again, or have my granddaughter live that life. She's faced with all sorts of things we would never have dreamed of.