Serious question about caliber and elk potential

I didn't think the O.P. was trying to recommend one caliber over another, I think what he was getting at is that sometimes people assume that a larger caliber will make up for a lack of skill. Before I get shelled for that statement I'm not saying that just because someone shoots a big magnum they have no skill and are just trying to compensate... not at all. It takes a lot of practice to be able to shoot the bigger mags at long range and I feel that everyone on this site knows and respects that. I think what the O.P. was getting at is that some people, especially those just starting out or people that are just plain recoil shy, might be better suited sticking to a smaller (still adequate though) chambering that they can shoot more consistently than forcing themselves out of their comfort level with a big magnum because Bob down at the gunshop tells them anything less will just bounce off. They just might have to limit themselves range wise. It's all about knowing the limits of yourself and your equipment.

I personally would rather hunt with the person who can put 5 shots into one hole with a .270 and waits for a clean hear lung shot than the guy who picks up the magnum of the year and one box of shells and thinks that a hit anywhere will make a kill. Again I'm not in any way attacking guys who use magnum calibers, heck I am one! But I didn't jump up to the .300 ultra mag untill I decided to get into long range hunting. The .270 never failed me but I just didn't feel comfortable past 400 with it.

I know quite a few guys who outfit and every one of them will say they've had more clients wound animals with magnums than with the good old .270's and .30-06's out there.

Again I'm not attacking everyone. If you can shoot it effectively and are reasonably sure of a humane kill then by all means use it, be it a 25-06 or a .375 Allen. Just know your limits.

After seeing a bull absorb a 300SMK with not so much as a flinch I was wondering if a .338 was big enough!:D

I can be convinced for the need of a larger 338 when your talking longer ranges and wind. But the average guy shooting average elk does not need nor should feel they need anything larger than a 30-06 or a 270.
If you can shoot a heavier recoiling gun as good as a light one then rock on but your average guy get pounded sighting in then is all messed up when you put them in front of elk and then it's you job to put down the wounded game so he can get his pics and tell everyone that you have to shoot a cannon for elk cause they are so tough. BULL!!!

Put a bullet that expands through there lungs and they are dead. Just my two cents.

PS: Friend don't let friend shoot elk with 7mm's.:D

Nonya I was in no way reccomending anything.. I was asking a serious question.. This quote sums up exactly what I was asking and feeling.... Sorry to ruffel your feathers I tried to make it as pc as possible and stated that I was just venting many times.

I didn't think the O.P. was trying to recommend one caliber over another, I think what he was getting at is that sometimes people assume that a larger caliber will make up for a lack of skill. Before I get shelled for that statement I'm not saying that just because someone shoots a big magnum they have no skill and are just trying to compensate... not at all. It takes a lot of practice to be able to shoot the bigger mags at long range and I feel that everyone on this site knows and respects that. I think what the O.P. was getting at is that some people, especially those just starting out or people that are just plain recoil shy, might be better suited sticking to a smaller (still adequate though) chambering that they can shoot more consistently than forcing themselves out of their comfort level with a big magnum because Bob down at the gunshop tells them anything less will just bounce off. They just might have to limit themselves range wise. It's all about knowing the limits of yourself and your equipment.

I personally would rather hunt with the person who can put 5 shots into one hole with a .270 and waits for a clean hear lung shot than the guy who picks up the magnum of the year and one box of shells and thinks that a hit anywhere will make a kill. Again I'm not in any way attacking guys who use magnum calibers, heck I am one! But I didn't jump up to the .300 ultra mag untill I decided to get into long range hunting. The .270 never failed me but I just didn't feel comfortable past 400 with it.

I know quite a few guys who outfit and every one of them will say they've had more clients wound animals with magnums than with the good old .270's and .30-06's out there.

Again I'm not attacking everyone. If you can shoot it effectively and are reasonably sure of a humane kill then by all means use it, be it a 25-06 or a .375 Allen. Just know your limits.

TY for this post.

Put a bullet through their lungs on the wrong mountian and you may spend the next 2 days trying to find out WHERE they ended up dead,lots of people bring this up,and its ALWAYS they guy that has a chip on their shoulder about guys who shoot mags,why else would you bring up a subject that has been rehashed 200 times?gun)

Nonya,
Why so negative? Maybe the guy had, as the title suggested, a "Serious question about caliber and elk potential"...or he was just looking for a troll under the bridge. In either case I think he may have found what he was looking for.:rolleyes: If you don't like his post then just don't read it, let alone respond to it. But then again you can say the same thing about my reply to you.

I guess that makes you a negative person(possibly a troll) and me a hypocrite.

Hypocrite is fine with me.

I have never had to trail a lung or heart shot elk, then again I have always shot a bullet that will open up in the cal. I'm shooting. The last elk I trailed was shot in the shoulder with a mag :rolleyes:. I seriously think that some mag cal's do not open up properly on an elk unless you punch a bone like the shoulder, they just zip through them not causing the trauma need.

The past couple years I have shot a 300WBY so I have no problem with guys shooting mags it just bugs me when people act like you don't know how to kill elk if you don't have magnumitis. It bugs me probly about the same it bug some that I can kill elk without shooting the chosen calibur of the elk Gods.

Ive killed em with an arrow at 15 yards so i guess i dont need a mag do I?I have seen elk shot with a variety of calibers and any of them can not kill them on the spot even with a well placed shot,if you havnt seen it you havnt done much elk hunting.You dont have to have a mag but you **** well better pack something larger than a 25-06 if you want to shoot LONG RANGE,you know the whole basis of this website?gun)

Nonya I sincerely appologise for upsetting you. I also appologise for bringing up something that you say has been gone over so many times. I didnt know I had to get your approval before asking a question. Next time I will know and I will make sure to get your approval. If my posts were read than it would be clear that I have tried extremely hard not to have a bias and not to post judgement on anyone on this forum. Like I said this was a serious question and the major majority of the awesome people on this forum gave great answers and suggestions. I agree with almost all of them..

It was my understanding that this forum was here for people to post questions and answers to help out other fans of hunting and LRH imparticular..

Just so it is clear.. I am not posting judgement on people using magnum rifles. I in fact use one and am getting ready to buy another. I am a firm believer that you need to bring the right ball to the game if you wanna play.. Also as you must know there have been many threads on this forum describing what "LONG RANGE" really is.. To you it may be 3000 yards to others it might be 400yds or less. So your comment about the 25-06 is really mute.

Anyway thanks for your comments and the tone you brought to this post.. Looking forward to your response..
Peace out!

Nonya I sincerely appologise for upsetting you. I also appologise for bringing up something that you say has been gone over so many times. I didnt know I had to get your approval before asking a question. Next time I will know and I will make sure to get your approval. If my posts were read than it would be clear that I have tried extremely hard not to have a bias and not to post judgement on anyone on this forum. Like I said this was a serious question and the major majority of the awesome people on this forum gave great answers and suggestions. I agree with almost all of them..

It was my understanding that this forum was here for people to post questions and answers to help out other fans of hunting and LRH imparticular..

Just so it is clear.. I am not posting judgement on people using magnum rifles. I in fact use one and am getting ready to buy another. I am a firm believer that you need to bring the right ball to the game if you wanna play.. Also as you must know there have been many threads on this forum describing what "LONG RANGE" really is.. To you it may be 3000 yards to others it might be 400yds or less. So your comment about the 25-06 is really mute.

Anyway thanks for your comments and the tone you brought to this post.. Looking forward to your response..
Peace out!

+1 lilcuss, I agree with you on all accounts. Nonya, I respect most of what you say most of the time, but you really add a lot of negative vibe on these posts. With all do respect, please consider what you are saying and how you say it, before you say it. "Make sure your words are sweet incase you may have to eat them." This is on our church sign. I think it applies many times when we post.

Sorry to have offended your delicate,PC,feelings,I dont give a **** if my opinion doesnt match up with your "vibe",when did you guys get you balls cut off?Have you really let yourself become so spineless that someone speakin their opinion about a topic as stupid as this one can insult you?Good Lord!:rolleyes:

Well obviously you are to much man for me. I guess I'll go crawl up in my bed and wait for life to pass me by because NONYA told me I'm spineless.... Oh wait, I answer to a higher power and "NONYA" business really matters to me. OOPS did I offend you? As far as respect for you and what you say and think about all things hunting, I've just lost it. You need to take a big slice of humble pie and rethink your intentions on how you reply and talk to other people. Your reply speaks volumes of your character and I can see it is severly out of touch with human values and ideals of an ethical relationship with those that share in your interest. I'm tired of reading all your little snappy come backs on simple questions. If you don't have anything constructive to bring to the table, then walk away and say nothing. I've tried to be nice and your bitter attitude and pride of "You always being oh so perfect" really bites. Think before you speak and then you can have better relationship with those on this site. Most of the arguments started on topics, are you spouting off telling everyone how inferior we are to you and all the elk you have killed. If you have been a long time member, so be it, but you wanted me to grow a spine, so here it is.

Good day,
Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.