OK......a serious question on .308 ammo

hitsthemark

After using my .308 to bag an Elk, a friend of mine had to have one. He asked me a question that frankly.....I don't know how to answer. I am hoping some of you do.

He decided that he was only going to shoot one ammo through this new rifle for all hunting purposes so that accuracy would be exact. He wants to shoot 180 grain factory loads....and wants to save money. At first, I recommended the internet but he got lots of conflicting info. Right now he is leaning towards the Winchester SuperX Silvertip and Power-Point cartridges.

I can't help him. Winchester has wrong BC's on the Power-Point for .308.......some places say the Power-Point will work on deer and moose at 300+ yards....others say Silvertip. Heck....even the Winchester web-site shows NO CXP3 rated cartridges in .308 winchester.....but that's not what boxes of cartridges of 180 grain Silvertips show.

At the edge of .308 range, I frankly am not sure what will occur. Will a softer bullet like Power-Point open at lower velocities but not penetrate? Will a Silvetip penetrate and not open?

He seems pretty sure that he will use his .308 this way with economical rounds at 3-4-5 hundred yard ranges on various sized game. Now I know many people would recommend he simply use a different rifle, but I don't see that happening. I would appreciate suggestions on what ammo to recommend to him. Thanks!!

#1 if he's gonna shot factory stuff and wants accuracy to remain consistent he needs to try several different types and find what it likes best and then once he settles on a brand and bullet style buy a couple of dozen boxes ( or cases ) depending on how much shooting he will be doing from the same lot # that way it's as close to the same as possible and will cary him a couple of years.

#2 I really don't have a brand or bullet recomendation ( factory wise ) for the .308 since I have never owned one. Sorry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

#3 I think a company or 2 has started loading accubonds in their factory lineup and I beleive winchester is one of em in fact I'm almost sure of it but it's called the accubond CT. If you could get those in .308 around 150 or 180 grain thats where I would start my testing for accuracy. They perform very well on game in that cal! I load the 150's for a friend of mine who is amazed at their performance compared to the old BT's he was shooting.

Thats the best I can do for you right now but I'm sure some of the .308 guys will chime in soon.
Later

A tall order but something that many non reloaders ask their ammo every season. Get whatever softpoint suits your fancy and shoots well in your rifle. I suggest the Hornady SST as I have first hand experience and they work great on game.

Shoot at LR and see what will actually group at the max distance you want to play at. Get at least 5" thick stack of phone books and shoot them. How did the bullet do? If it went though and left a nice big hole, it will most certainly take an elk down using boiler room shots.

As a general rule, as velocity slows, soft bullets start to act like controlled expansion bullets. The key is how much or how little will that bullet expand? There is only one way to find out and you can also test that when deciding if the setup is accurate enough. Can't hit the phone books? I guess the rifle/shooter/ammo isn't up to the task of LR hunting at that distance.

The advice of buying all you can from the same lot is an excellent one.

Jerry

1st he needs a chrony. I'd go with the federal HE and Hornady LM first. If theses don't please then try a premium Win/Rem/Fed. Once I found my load, I'd go to one of the web stores and order as many boxes of the same lot as I could afford. Hunt with them and practice with millsurp. It's about $.20-25 per round delivered. Stay away from Indian. capt david

It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Geez ! Cap . , and all this time I've been backing up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jim

I agree with the concept of shooting several brands and/or bullets until you find one accurate enough for what he wants. The 308 is on the short side for the high end animals. It works, but a man needs to know his limitations. The Hornady and Federal loads in the light magnum, etc. can really help the 308, if they'll group. I'd start there and then try some other brands if they won't shoot. The Accubond in the Winchester loading would also be an excellent bullet. For one load does all, I'd stay with a 165 gr bullet if possible. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not knowing the "quality" of his rifle.....but if it's anywhere near close to mine....he won't have any trouble "whanging" and elk/mulie way out there! Now...where's "way out there"? Well...for some...it's probably 300 yards! For me...with this cartridge...on game...I'd probably say for a lot of guys I know...it would be on the backside of 800 yards. And as the other guys have stated...."select several types of factory stuff" and see what delivers the best accuracy! Personally as one poster stated...I'd possibly settle for the Accubond as I've found it to deliver good results! My favorite is the 180 gr. Scirocco but that's just personal preference but it comes with much field testing to back me up! About 3 years back I shot a bull elk in Colorado with my .308 Win using the 150 gr. Scirocco and being hit behind the right shoulder....the bull walked ten steps and then hit on his Dick so hard it took a pick axe to dig his whacker outa the ground before I could roll him over to field dress! Exit hole was about like the big end of a coffee cup! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FWIW!

[ QUOTE ]
1st he needs a chrony. I'd go with the federal HE and Hornady LM first. If theses don't please then try a premium Win/Rem/Fed. Once I found my load, I'd go to one of the web stores and order as many boxes of the same lot as I could afford. Hunt with them and practice with millsurp. It's about $.20-25 per round delivered. Stay away from Indian. capt david

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very reasonable approach given the operating conditions of 1 load!!! I have a 1 gun person who I work with that uses the Hornady LM. He shot a box in his Model 7 with all 20 going into 4 groups averaging a little over an inch. Went back and bought the 15 boxes left at the store--has not even uses 4 boxes over the last 4 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.