Second set of range finding binoculars

I have considered the NL 12x42 and use a vortex mono rangefinder as a backup? I looked through those 12x50 at sportsman wharehouse and I was surprised at the advantage even over my EL's.

I have been playing with the vortex ballistic app this morning and the range finder and it's legit as a usable tool. If they would have improved the glass even 20% over what it is, I could live with it and make it work.

What a great time to be asking this question with so many options coming to market.
I'd been lusting after a geovid for years and came close, but never pulled the trigger.

I recently jumped on a sig-sauer kilo 4k when a deal popped up. I bought the sig knowing I'd be making sacrifices on the optics. Long story short, I ended up with a GPO Rangefinder Bino as well.

Borrowing my friends newly purchased Geovid allowed me to do an informal side by side comparison. Here's my distilled impressions;
Leica Optics; 9/10. Bright, clear contrasty. Exactly what I expected from Leica.
Leica Ranging; 5/10. Had difficulty returning a range at modest distances (600 and beyond). Readings weren't always consistent telling me I was reflecting off different points (aiming problem). Pretty good long delay returning a reading.

Sig-Sauer optics; 5/10. I was warned about the infamous blue tinge. It's real, and it was a problem for me. I feel that it interfered with spotting/identifying animals. Also low light image was not great. Big problems for me.
Sig-Sauer ranging; 9/10. At times I'm getting ranges returned to me at 4100 yards!… I'm reliably getting ranges at distances I have no right or intention of shooting at (I don't own a BMG). Returns were ultra quick and reliable. Why not 10/10?…in bright sunny conditions, the Sig didn't reliably range over 1000 yards. Probably too much interference from the ambient light.
GPO optics; 6/10. Similar blue tinge as Sig. not as pronounced. Clarity a bit better. I haven't hunted it yet so can't speak to game spotting.
GPO ranging; 8/10. Not quite the beast that the Sig is…but I'm happy with ranging trees and rocks at 3600 yards.

Other notes; the Sig comes with a very nice chest case/harness. It also comes with very usable BDX software. If you pop for the 6k you get even more capable software. I believe the Leica also comes with ballistic software. The GPO does not. The GPO comes with a case…but not nearly as nice as the Sig.
The Leica display is subdued and faint (allows you to focus on the subject better). The Sig display is bright and demands your attention. The GPO is in between the two.

So in a world where I need a ranging bino to do well at both roles…the bino's I have experience with come with significant compromises. Carrying separate bino and rangefinder is still on the table for me.

Maybe one day I'll hit the lottery…then I'll get a swaro! I hear that one does both very well.
Ag7FjFN.jpg
three rangefinding binos.jpeg

Last edited:
The Swaro is in a class by itself and next year I may purchase another one but there are a lot of mid-range options that have great features. What's sad is we now consider a $1500 set up to be middle ground. My Swarovski's will ship out for repair tomorrow and the Leica 10x42R will be here Tuesday so I can compare.

There is a lot of good information in this thread to help others with the pros and cons of each unit. As stated, the Vortex and the AB app actually works as a useful tool. I will say that in the dawn and dusk you will REALLY notice the difference between the units. The Swaro. shines in that time frame.

What a great time to be asking this question with so many options coming to market.
I'd been lusting after a geovid for years and came close, but never pulled the trigger.

I recently jumped on a sig-sauer kilo 4k when a deal popped up. I bought the sig knowing I'd be making sacrifices on the optics. Long story short, I ended up with a GPO Rangefinder Bino as well.

Borrowing my friends newly purchased Geovid allowed me to do an informal side by side comparison. Here's my distilled impressions;
Leica Optics; 9/10. Bright, clear contrasty. Exactly what I expected from Leica.
Leica Ranging; 5/10. Had difficulty returning a range at modest distances (600 and beyond). Readings weren't always consistent telling me I was reflecting off different points (aiming problem). Pretty good long delay returning a reading.

Sig-Sauer optics; 5/10. I was warned about the infamous blue tinge. It's real, and it was a problem for me. I feel that it interfered with spotting/identifying animals. Also low light image was not great. Big problems for me.
Sig-Sauer ranging; 9/10. At times I'm getting ranges returned to me at 4100 yards!… I'm reliably getting ranges at distances I have no right or intention of shooting at (I don't own a BMG). Returns were ultra quick and reliable. Why not 10/10?…in bright sunny conditions, the Sig didn't reliably range over 1000 yards. Probably too much interference from the ambient light.
GPO optics; 6/10. Similar blue tinge as Sig. not as pronounced. Clarity a bit better. I haven't hunted it yet so can't speak to game spotting.
GPO ranging; 8/10. Not quite the beast that the Sig is…but I'm happy with ranging trees and rocks at 3600 yards.

Other notes; the Sig comes with a very nice chest case/harness. It also comes with very usable BDX software. If you pop for the 6k you get even more capable software. I believe the Leica also comes with ballistic software. The GPO does not. The GPO comes with a case…but not nearly as nice as the Sig.
The Leica display is subdued and faint (allows you to focus on the subject better). The Sig display is bright and demands your attention. The GPO is in between the two.

So in a world where I need a ranging bino to do well at both roles…the bino's I have experience with come with significant compromises. Carrying separate bino and rangefinder is still on the table for me.

Maybe one day I'll hit the lottery…then I'll get a swaro! I hear that one does both very well.
Ag7FjFN.jpg
View attachment 502092
Very odd results with the Leica. I've never had one that wasn't flat out impressive. I've had 2 3200's, my outfitter buddy runs them, my elk hunting buddy runs them. Zero issues ranging to 3000 ish and fast solutions to 1000. I don't care for the bt to kestrel. It's just awkward programming is my opinion.

I will be honest, none of the units I have looked through have the crisp clarity that the Swarovski EL has. The Leica unit I looked through did seem to be better glass than the Vortex, but I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison. I made the mistake of looking through the new Swarovski 12x42 NL and WOW.....I may just use a separate handheld rangefinder!!lol
My theory is that with the increasing power of todays range finding lasers, specialized lens coating are required to protect your eyes and these coating are not conducive to the best clarity. I peeked through my cousin's vortex bino (non range finder), and there was no blue tint and the acuity was easily better than my Kilo 4k.
Perhaps the EL uses laser safe coatings that keep it from keeping step with the NL. I for one don't fault them. I also lusted after a Newcon...until I found out that their lasers weren't "eye safe"

Last edited:
Very odd results with the Leica. I've never had one that wasn't flat out impressive. I've had 2 3200's, my outfitter buddy runs them, my elk hunting buddy runs them. Zero issues ranging to 3000 ish and fast solutions to 1000.
I agree and it was honestly quite a disappointment. I'm thinking he got a lemon. I'll probably borrow it again and put in some fresh batteries for him. We'll see how it ranges then. He told me about the shortcomings and I dismissed them (he's a bowhunter).

To be fair, my Sig is a replacement of a subpar unit. Mine had the hallmarks of a repackaged dealer demo and wasn't so impressive on the ranging (even though it had the factory seal on the box). I called the retailer and they quickly made it right. Unit in my hand now is flat out amazing at ranging.

I'm sure ya'll have seen this online comparison...but for those that haven't;

...Leica took a pass on participating...I wonder why?
Article says that the Swaro comes with the Applied Ballistics software.