Second set of range finding binoculars

TAZMAN

I have a set of Swarofski EL 10x42 binoculars that got knocked off my toolbox and popped out the left ocular piece. I put it back in but now the rangefinder doesn't work right and its tilted. I am going to send them in for repair but I am considering buying a backup pair of the Leica R 10 x 42. I can't afford to spend $3K right now but I can justify $1500. Do the

Leica Geovid R Laser Rangefinding Binocular

compare to the Swarofski EL that I have now? They are about 8 years old.

I have a set of Swarofski EL 10x42 binoculars that got knocked off my toolbox and popped out the left ocular piece. I put it back in but now the rangefinder doesn't work right and its tilted. I am going to send them in for repair but I am considering buying a backup pair of the Leica R 10 x 42. I can't afford to spend $3K right now but I can justify $1500. Do the

Leica Geovid R Laser Rangefinding Binocular

compare to the Swarofski EL that I have now? They are about 8 years old.
From what I've been reading the Vortex fury 5000hd ab are the way to go. They don't seem to have the problem of not ranging in extreme cold or snow as some of the others. I was just looking through a pair a guy had in Montana a few weeks ago and the glass isn't bad, especially if it's for a second set

We ordered a set of the Leica Geovide R 10x42 but also went to sportsman warehouse today and grabbed a set of the Vortex 10x42 with AB just to see how the glass is. The Leica won't be here until Tuesday, but I will play with these tomorrow and compare the glass to my Swarovski since they don't get shipped out until Monday.

I will be honest, none of the units I have looked through have the crisp clarity that the Swarovski EL has. The Leica unit I looked through did seem to be better glass than the Vortex, but I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison. I made the mistake of looking through the new Swarovski 12x42 NL and WOW.....I may just use a separate handheld rangefinder!!lol

I will be honest, none of the units I have looked through have the crisp clarity that the Swarovski EL has. The Leica unit I looked through did seem to be better glass than the Vortex, but I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison. I made the mistake of looking through the new Swarovski 12x42 NL and WOW.....I may just use a separate handheld rangefinder!!lol
I had a pair of the Swarovski el range for a lot of years and never had an issue but I upgraded to the el range with ta last year and they definitely have better glass than the older ones. I tried the Zeiss Victory rf, Leica 3200 and they were both good in different ways but I stuck with the Swarovski. I just bought a pair of Revic rf binoculars as a backup pair. I don't have a lot of experience with them yet but the rangefinder is definitely the strongest out of them all. I didn't like the initial feeling of the binoculars but they feel better the more I play with them.

Thank you for all the responses. I have a Vortex range finder that I use just for matches sometimes and I had thought about just spending the money on the 12x42NL Swarovski's but our in-ground pool cost us about $23K this year with new liner and heater along with other things and I hate using a credit card. I may just have to find some Swarovski's on sale somewhere!!lol

My fear with the Leica is the warranty and service, I had a Leica mono rangefinder that quit and I called Leica, I was told they no longer offered service for my model, and they would not be able to repair it. It was 6 years old. After I researched it, I threw it away because others were told the same thing. They did offer me 10% off on a new one though!:mad:

Last edited:
Had swaro el and now the Leica 3200. For me the glass in the swaro is a little better for all day terrain picking but not that much different for normal use. Leica laser is legit. I've had several lrf's from them and they just flat work. There are also several Leica 3200's in my group and no issues

Brent, what about the Leica 3200 pro? Is that the one you are talking about?
I don't have the pro but am considering it. Smaller profile would be nice. I'm not dissatisfied at all with my Leica's but I do feel swaro is better for my eyes. I didn't go swaro this last go around do to the limited ballistic app. Both companies keep missing the whole point of a ballistic program. It's annoying because the glass in both is very good.