Second set of range finding binoculars

I read that review and was surprised Leica didn't participate. I ordered the Leica R series to see how they compare to the Vortex. I have a couple buddies that run the Vortex for the AB software and although the glass isn't on par with more expensive glass, they get by. I think it comes down to "is the glass worth an extra $2K" for your needs? Once I get the new Leica I will compare since the Vortex and the Leica I ordered are in the same price range.

I am also concerned that it will cost a lot to get my Swarovski's repaired. My wife did tell me that if I wanted to get the 12x42 Swaro NL's for a really early Christmas gift then I could go get them. I would Keep the Vortex for rough use and use my Vortex handheld with the 12x42 units when needed. The one drawback to the combo unit is if the rangefinder has issues, you are without the binoculars while they are being repaired.

Last edited:
I have several pairs of Swarovski and Leica Rangefinding binoculars. I left a pair of Leica R's on the cab of a truck two years ago glassing in Kansas, and they were run over and destroyed. I replaced them with 3200R's and really don't like them, so I bought the Swarovski TA- I do love those. But to a previous post above- if you have not looked through a pair of Swarovski NL- DON'T or you will be in love!

I'm sure ya'll have seen this online comparison...but for those that haven't;

...Leica took a pass on participating...I wonder why?
Article says that the Swaro comes with the Applied Ballistics software.
I don't know what program they run nor that is matters when you consider it only works to 800 and is clunky. Now to be fair, it was a couple years ago when I last looked at them before getting another set of Leica's. The Leica program is clunky too but does work as it should but only to 1000. Then you have to connect to the kestrel. This is where it gets ridiculous in my opinion. To switch back to the user input data you have to reload it from the app and that requires a cell connection. So, up on the mountain, no cell, switch to kestrel, it works but its meh. 2 devices have to be on and paired. If and when the kestrel is turned off the program does not work. So to switch back to my rifle program I have to load it. For 99.9% of the population I don't think this makes any difference, they'll never use the kestrel link. Hunting past 1000 is reserved for the select few. So, that's my gripe but beyond that, the glass is great, the LRF is great, and the ballistic program is fine 1000 and less. It's beyond annoying you can have great glass but a miss on the app for something costing 3500.00.

I think I am going to keep the Vortex just for the AB app and quick reference shots. It ranges awesome and I am just now really getting into the AB function. Man...if they would have improved the glass a little more, it would be a great set up for quick reference.

Leica now has a 10 Year No Falut warranty even on rangefinders. That is impressive on a electronic product. DD62
Good point. I am a swaro glass snob/fan personally but having put this 3200 through the paces for a couple years I cannot bash the product very much. My el's are little bit more comfy on the eye but it's minor. Being honest with myself the program to 1000 yards is more than enough for hunting applications and when shooting comp, speed doesn't matter for solutions, and we run data cards anyway. I have never missed a shot based on poor data, or too slow of a solution, or bad range read. The thing flat out does everything very well in the end. Saturday afternoon while wolf hunting I took a cold bore shot at 700 on a rock to blow the cobbs out and never once questioned the solution. I took off .3 vertical draft, held 1.5 for wind, and it was all there, like always. That rifle and lrf combo smoked a lot of yotes last winter from 650-850. Any time I miss, it's not bad data from that system.

Good point. I am a swaro glass snob/fan personally but having put this 3200 through the paces for a couple years I cannot bash the product very much. My el's are little bit more comfy on the eye but it's minor. Being honest with myself the program to 1000 yards is more than enough for hunting applications and when shooting comp, speed doesn't matter for solutions, and we run data cards anyway. I have never missed a shot based on poor data, or too slow of a solution, or bad range read. The thing flat out does everything very well in the end. Saturday afternoon while wolf hunting I took a cold bore shot at 700 on a rock to blow the cobbs out and never once questioned the solution. I took off .3 vertical draft, held 1.5 for wind, and it was all there, like always. That rifle and lrf combo smoked a lot of yotes last winter from 650-850. Any time I miss, it's not bad data from that system.
Have you had any problems with ranging in the snow ? I've read plenty of reviews on the Leica and especially the Zeiss not ranging in snow

Have you had any problems with ranging in the snow ? I've read plenty of reviews on the Leica and especially the Zeiss not ranging in snow
Not all. I hunt all winter for yotes and wolves. I have ranged a lot of terrain 2500-3300 to see how far I really want to hike in the snow. Ha ha. I know everyone can have different experiences but I would not own these still if they didn't perform well. I have had Leica, leupold, gunwerks, vortex, swaro, and sig LRF's. Leica has been very good to me so far but I am not stuck on them. The revic has my attention, just worried about the glass.

Not all. I hunt all winter for yotes and wolves. I have ranged a lot of terrain 2500-3300 to see how far I really want to hike in the snow. Ha ha. I know everyone can have different experiences but I would not own these still if they didn't perform well. I have had Leica, leupold, gunwerks, vortex, swaro, and sig LRF's. Leica has been very good to me so far but I am not stuck on them. The revic has my attention, just worried about the glass.
The Revic only has a 2 year electronics warranty and 5 year on mechanical parts.

Thats gonna be a hard no for me.

The Revic only has a 2 year electronics warranty and 5 year on mechanical parts.

Thats gonna be a hard no for me.
Ugh. My br2 was crazy reliable but bulky. I do agree that the potential for issues is very high with this stuff and could be a big expense. My experience with sig has me concerned. Maybe I'll just stick with Leica since my complaint is fairly stupid in the end.

I appreciate everyone staying on topic and there is a lot of useful information in this thread. I have not looked through the Revic binoculars so I can't provide input but, the warranty would be a hard no for me also. I will continue to use the Vortex Fury 5000 until my Swarovski's are repaired. Maybe next year I can get a second set of the Swarovski TA's. Unless the Leica 10x42R has some excellent glass, I will return them.

I have the new Sig Kilo6k HD RF Binos and am thoroughly impressed with glass and RF capabilities. No issues to report and the glass was way above my expectations. I run Swaro 15x56 Binos and both Kowa and Swaro spotters so glass is important to me. RF software works great also.

I have a spare set of EL 10x42 range in like new condition with all paper work and box if you want another set of Swaros. These are about 8 years old, so button is still on left side, but the round button, not the square. I can send pictures and we can work out a fair price if you are interested.

If only you could get Swaro glass in the Sig 10k. I would of bought it yesterday. The AB software In the sig and its RF capabilities is legit.
I'll just wait for Sigs new one coming out in a few months. I will sacrifice a bit on glass for everything else that is in the sig 10k.