Scope Survey:

tbeasley

Guys, Im in the search for a scope that meets the criteria listed below;
-Power Range:Low end at least 6x High End at Least 20x
-Reticle: Some type of BDC/ranging or hash mark that is at least thin like Night Force (No Boldness Please!!)
-Side Focus
-30mm Tube
-Generous eye relief
-Price Range: $600

What scope come to mind to fit this bill?

thanks for any comments...tim b.

Take a look at a Buris Black dimond 4X16X50. I have one of these on my 257 Weatherby. It is deadley accurate, and the glass is pretty good too. Bill Maylor

I would recommend taking a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP5 4.5-22.5x50 Mil Dot. A great scope for the money and competes highly against the bigger name manufacturers.

I think the new bushnell elites 6500 series are pretty close to what you're looking for but I'm not sure about the reticle. there have been mixed reviews about them as well.

there's a new company making a konus m30 that has had some good reviews mixed with some not so good ones but it might be worth checking into.

Falcon, Wonder optics or nikon might be some other options...I don't have any personal experience with the above scopes yet, just what I've read.

i'm gonna have to look into the Elite 6500 series. I know i wont go Vortex, just got a Viper 6.5-20 with the BDC reticle and for one the reticle is way to BOLD/THICK,heck it covers way to much of the target, second it has a bad hazing effect after 10x. Maybe i got the lemon and i wouldn't doubt it, but it is being sent back cause of this and the reticle stinks.

My biggest problem with scopes today are the thickness or boldness of the reticles. Why aren't there more that are thinner like NF's, S&B's, and U.S.O.'s. Yea I know what u pay for on these scopes, but the reticle isn't the huge cost, its there ruggedness and repeatability.

Another scope distrubitor (will not name) pumps the Vortex beyond belief and he thinks NF's are not worth there money...i really hope for HIS sake i got a bad scope or his opinions of scopes are not worth a hell of beans...

Keep it coming guys...on the Bushnell Elite 6500's, how are the reticles?

are you against mildots for any reason? are they too thick?? I know they do cover a lot of target but it may be an option...i heard some mixed things on the 6500 regarding clarity once you got further up in magnification....the 4200 elites have solid reviews but i think they're mildots....burris may have a line with a bdc reticle that might fit your bill.

I have looked through a konus m30 and for the price i was impressed...

I have one being put on a custom rifle being built...but I won't know what it will do until i get it...warranty is solid but we'll see..

I'll check into the Konus line...as far as Mil-Dot..I'd rather stay away. They tend to take up to much sight picture. Come to think of it, I really like the Burris Ball.-Plex reticle..

I was in the same price range once but decided to spend an extra 100 bucks and get a Sightron Rifle Scopes- SIII SS 6-24X50 Dot it is worth the money i got a price of around $700 from my local gun smith

Leupold VX-III LR with varmint reticle. Might spend a little more than your $600 if you do your shopping, but it will be well worth it.

I'm going to agree with Phorwath on this one and go with the Sightron S3 in
6-24x50mm. I have not had much luck with the Sightron S2, but after looking at the glass of the S3 about a month ago, I ordered one. If the turrets are repeatable, this will be a great scope for the price. They will be even more popular when Sightron comes out with a MOA reticle. Put a bug in there ear for that one.

thanks for the comments fellas...
I agree about Sightron S3's they are indeed a great scope the money..if they only had better reticle choices.
And the Leupold V3 Varmint reticle LR/T is a great scope too, mounted one last week on the bench gun cause my Kelby's weren't high enough for the NF.

thanks again guys
tim b.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.