Scope Survey:

thanks for the comments fellas...
I agree about Sightron S3's they are indeed a great scope the money..if they only had better reticle choices.

tim b.

+1

The quality of the glass in the Sightron SIIIs is outstanding for the purchase price. If they would expand the power range selections on their variable power scopes, as well as the reticle options, then they'd really be hitting on all cylinders. I'd like to be able to purchase something along the lines of a 4-16x50mm SIII with additional hashes/aiming points on the reticle, above and beyond the standard military mil-dot reticle. No such options are available at this time. That type of reticle may require an etched glass lens, and that would almost certainly mean an increased production/purchase cost/price.

Last edited:
I'd recommend you stay away from these guys and any other internet forum you run across and make a common sense decision of your own based on your requirements and available scopes in your area.

What anybody here had to say made less than zero importamce in my last couple of scope purchases.

I have a couple of great scopes as a result of it.

If you like the Sightron SIIIs you might want to wait until they come out with their new ones this spring. They are supposed to have a better reticle and have the turrets fixed so they don't turn so easily. That is the problem ( turret ) that Vortex fixed in their new PST scopes. The new Sightrons might be above your price limit. If you get a FFP scope like the Falcon the reticle will be thin and is like the NF (I think) and will be around ($595?).

I was going to get a Falcon, but bit the bullet and got a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA and a Vortex Custom Turret which I got last summer. Vortex is sending a new replacement because of the turret issue free of charge which should be delivered to my door this Tuesday.

joseph

Last edited:
I'd recommend you stay away from these guys and any other internet forum you run across and make a common sense decision of your own based on your requirements and available scopes in your area.

What anybody here had to say made less than zero importamce in my last couple of scope purchases.

I have a couple of great scopes as a result of it.

I could disagree any more with your comments. I an unaware of any better source of information on rifle scope quality than internet forums. You can't read one post and reach a conclusion. Read a number of posts and threads and it's possible to avoid a lot of trial and error and disappointment. Unless you've got the opportunity to purchase all of the available scopes and test them against one another (independently wealthy), or the opportunity to see them all lined up on display outdoors side by side, the next best bet is to read what others have had to say about their experiences while comparing the more limited number of scopes that they own and have directly paired up against each other. How do you know your scopes are any good compared to the multitude of other scopes that are available? Have you ignored everything others have said and purchased one of each of them so you could compare 30 different scopes against each other on your own?

I used Leupolds for 25 years and figured they had good glass based on their market share of scopes sold, and their outstanding warranty. There's so many other scopes available now that put the glass in leupolds to shame, and at a lesser cost, that I wished I'd been reading the forums 10 years ago - so I could have seen the light - literally. I wish these forums existed 20 years ago!

Last edited:
If you like the Sightron SIIIs you might want to wait until they come out with their new ones this spring. They are supposed to have a better reticle and have the turrets fixed so they don't turn so easily. That is the problem ( turret ) that Vortex fixed in their new PST scopes. The new Sightrons might be above your price limit.
joseph

What's the source of your information on new models from Sightron? Are they posting information on their web site now? Or have you talked with Sightron reps? I'm in the market for a third Sightron, and have been waiting for any new variable power ranges or reticles they may add to their offerings. I don't think you can beet the SIII glass for any comparable cost in any other scope. If anyone's aware of better quality glass for comparable money, I'd like to be informed of these additional options.

Last edited:
What's the source of you information on new models from Sightron. Are they posting information on their web site now? Or have you talked with Sightron reps? I'm in the market for a third Sightron, and have been waiting for any new variable power ranges or reticles they may add to their offerings. I don't think you can been the SIII glass for any comparable cost in any other scope. If anyone's aware of better quality glass for comparable money, I'd like to be informed of these additional options.

OOPS, I made a fatal error by stating something that was said by someone here some place which I have not been able to find. I took it for granted because I have read it before also on another forum. Might have been the same guy???

joseph

Dang! That looks like a nice reticle. All MOA. Easy for the operator.

This must be an etched reticle. Sightron's prior reticles have predominantly all been wire, to the best of my knowledge. Except maybe their dot reticle. So I hope they've got their reticle etching down pat. I have no doubt about the quality of the glass with respect to light transmission and resolution. And fairly light weight at 21.9 oz.

Thanks guys. This is close to what I've been waiting for. If it were only available in 4-16 power. Close enough. Time for me to purchase my next scope!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts