Survey on Scopes!!!

MOA,

I guess I did not see the part about "exclude price" and according to my post I did specify that my ranking where price vs. quality, so yes I did weight the price of the Bushnell vs the Zeiss. If money did not matter, than I would have ranked the Zeiss higher. I am actually surprised that you have the Bushnell Banner on your list. Oh, I see it is just scopes that you own.

U.S Optics, if money is no object. Second place goes to top tier europeans. A servicable alternative, Leupold, Burris and Bushnell, in decending order. It just depends on your needs.

Good hunting. LB

I only considered the scopes I've used (owned) in the last few years and did leave a few off the list that would have rated somewhere around the TP roll in durability (but above the SA).

PracTac, Ian

I guess you could tell I'm not much of a Springfield fan.
smile.gif

I'll try the long Xmas wrap tube deal for long range, maybe I'll make a "set" of tubes (TP, paper towel and Xmas wrap) and then I can have a variable.

Hey Dave,

I tried it. I took a toilet paper roll added a cross hair, though the mil-dot reticle I tried to make was just too hard. I settled for a standard cross hair.

I pulled out my old Springfield Armory scope for a comparison.

Optical clarity on the TP roll was excellent, even out to the edges. The Springfield Armory scope optical clarity was very fuzzy toward the edges.

I must give overall ruggedness to Springfield. Somehow, I think it'll work slightly better in the rain. LOL!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Dave, you may be on to something. My own tests indicate that your TP approaches 100% LIGHT TRANSMISSION, BEST IN THE INDUSTRY. For the price conscious, it stands alone.

I'm thinking a nice length of EMT conduit might do the same, again without those pesky crosshairs. And, it's considerably more durable than TP, secured with duct tape, POA hasn't changed noticeably.

Next, I'm going to try it on my Citori.

Good hunting. LB

This based on scopes I have owned and used.
35mm 6-24 IOR(best glass by far!)
30mm 6-24 IOR(just as good as the NF and cheaper!)
12-42 NF br varmint reticle HIT THE ROAD
8-32 NFbr varmint reticle HIT THE ROAD
16x IOR x2(glass has a yellow tinge but very clear)
5.5-16.5 Nikon Monarch(short eye relief prevents me from owning more of these)
12x Leupold x2The dot HIT THE ROAD
8-32 4200 B&L elite(very limited elivation adjustment ;-(HIT THE ROAD
6-24Leupold VX3(bach to the shop twice and still dont trust the taget turrent!!goin down the road!)
8-32 Swift(worthless past 24x and x hairs too thick for prairie dogs)HIT THE ROAD
3-9 Burris fullfield II
3-9 Leupold
4-16 Weaver(suppose to be a good scope but this one just verly better than open sights)HIT THE ROAD
4-14 Simons.
open sights=Daves toilet paper reticle
4-14 Springfield found a sucker HIT THE ROAD
6-18 BSA Gave it away!!
Tascos long gone
older Bushells and good riddence

Wish list would include a few 5-22 NSX's.....just as soon as I win the lottery.

Mach V

LOL, another Springfield lover. I've never bought a BSA either but I did see a bent (Nikon I believe) scope on Ebay that I'd buy before the BSA models.

In the next few days I'll have a picture of my new line of scopes..... All with the 100% light transmission option!

Dave,
First, why do we have to use empty toilet paper rolls, seems to me a full roll would look pretty cool on top of a slicked-out heavy-barreled Remington M-700. Plus, if nature calls, your good to go... Rings would have to be adjustable, right, since the outer dimensions would be subject to change. Perhaps we could talk to Marty about rings, they really don't have to be made of metal do they?

Moisture might prove a bit of problem, I will leave that to you since you are a former submariner and all.

Also, TWO Xmas-paper rolls held together with two or three elastic bands just might make a great Po'Man's set of BigEyes. Light, easy to use, don't need no expensive fixtures and tripod.

Looking forward to your pictures - something tells me they will be doozers
smile.gif

I tried the tp roll and when I carried my gun through some thick stuff by the scope it fell in the mud. Optics weren't bad but ruggedness needs some improvement. Granted I shouldn't carry my gun by the scope but it makes a great handle.
grin.gif

I have had a few albeit the less expensive models but I like the leupy warranty and am sold on em.

My only experience with higher quality scopes are Nikon's. I have:
2-7 X 32
3-9 X 40
4-12 X 44 AO
6.5-20 X 44 AO
2.5 - 10 X 44 Tactical
The optical quality is great in all them. I like the 2-7X32 for a light weight brush gun for whitetail. The Tactical is good for close quarter or long range with the low end of 2.5-10. This is my favorite scope.
My .02$
Cobber

Only scopes that I own; Best Glass and ease of operation, starting with best first
1. NIMROD IDF (Super scope great Retical for Ranging, good BDC for 308)
2. IOR (Super glass, Solid Clicks)
3. Night force (Super all around, Large and heavy, nice retical for ranging)
4. Shepherd (Great for fast target acquisition, very simple to use and accurate)
5. Super Sniper (cheap and well worth the price, I have 3 and all work perfectly)
6. Redfield (accutrac works well glass is good, also I have the LE2, no bad but not great)
7. Bushnell (Clear good for hunting)
8. Weaver (Clear good for hunting)

Worst scopes that I have owned
1. ATN (worst scope ever, tossed into the garbage)
2. BSA (Still own works fine)
3. Springfield (hard to level with buble, glass is cheap, over priced)
4. Simons (owned 3 broke 3 from recoil of a 35 Whelen, junk)
5. Tasco (Good for 22's crappy turrets and clicks)

[ 11-07-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

I've got a question for those of you using the Tasco Super Sniper.

Are the target knobs exposed all the time? Or are there covers that go over them?

I'm very interested in a 10x42 for my Rem PSS, but I don't want the adjustment turrets out there in the breeze where I could accidently bump them.

The rifle has a Bushnell (B&L?) Elite 4000 on it now, 2.5-10x

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.