Leupold Mark 4 survey/questions

6.5BR

What would you all think of a Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm for an all around scope, paper thru deer, or even elk?

I don't think it comes with shorter M2 knobs that would be better in field than tall turrets.

What reticle would you prefer.....standard duplex.....a mil-dot?

Fine too 'faint' in low light, or you lose it......

How many go 50mm

Or up to 6.5-20, etc?

Just curious if you could only have ONE scope for doing it all, close up, and far away........etc. What would it be configured like?

First, is your age and eye condition and second is your hunting style.

After age 45 you begin to lose night vision rapidly and a 40mm will not give you the same amount of early morning and late evening hunting time that a really good 50 or 56 mm will.

If your hunting style is to alternate between heavy cover and open spaces then you should decide based upon your ability to deal with your animals in the heavy cover. I have problems at 6 power and up on running animals in heavy cover at distances of 50 yards or less.

Just my opinion, but 10X is good to about 500 yards, 14X is good to about 800 yards and 20X is good to about 1400 yards. If you are capable of shooting further than 1400 yards you don't need to be asking for advice on scopes.

So, I would say you have to balance out how many deer/elk you are going to be shooting at up real close versus how many you will shoot at at what long range. Which is more important to you personally.

The benefits of the Mark 4 over the V3 are not something that I remember but if I was going to pay for a M4 I would just get a Nightforce and be done with it. IMHO the V3 LR is hard to beat for the money.

Great concise advice......I am not one to use alot of power on hunting rifles, but looking at something as a 'one gun to do all' as best can, and since paper at 400 is on the menu, want so resolving power, done very good work in past with 14 or 16 on top end.

Like the VXIII as well except I like the M2 knobs. Want SF for sure, will see what the cheapest way I may get those M2 knobs as it may be a Mark 4 is the only way I don't know. Love the 4200 4-16 but want a more compact SF model, not out yet.....I expect but Bushnell has not said they will do one. Nikon has a 4-16 or so, new monarch SF about configuration looking for, what do you think of them? Thanks. At this time, it would be rare much paper nor hunting will ever be done past 400, though I'd be interested in capability to about 600 or so on deer, for a very rare situation, IF conditions were ideal and ranges were known, etc.

A 3.5-10 may get the job done with less bulk and weight, used fixed 4's and 6x in past with good effect in field, its more the 'target/varmint' shooting where a higher magnification would be desired.

Any word on the newest Nikons would be appreciated. Thanks.

M2 Knobs

If you want call leupold and you can order directly through them. I got a 6.5-20-40mm VX3 complete with M1 knobs cheaper than a MK4.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.