Scope rings/base for Tikka - dnz? low?

DonV

I am getting a Tikka T3X 300 mag, Leupold VX-6 42 mm 2-12x scope. Can I use low rings or do I need medium? What do you think about the DNZ mounts? Do you like the CDS?

I am looking for hunting, large game - and I want something simple not worried about 1/2" off - think elk size game at 500 yards.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm and I used the Burris Extreme Tactical two piece scope base with medium height Burris Zee rings with a Vortex 42mm scope . The base accepts any Weaver style or picatinny style rings . The bases are steel and have a really clean look .

I have about a heavy 1/8 inch to maybe 3/16 inch clearance off the barrel . My scope has a one inch tube . If your Leupold is 30 mm that might make a difference . I called Burris customer service and told them what rifle and scope I had and they said to get medium rings . I can send you cell pics of mine if you would like . You can PM your number .

I have a medium-height DNZ on one of my Rem 700's and it clears a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50, but not by much. You can barely fit one of those neoprene scope covers between the bell and the barrel. But as for shoot-ability, it clears just enough to avoid any interference.

I also recommend a medium. If you were running a picatinny rail, then you could run low-height Seekins rings or TPS TSR super-lows, but for a 1-piece DNZ, I'd go medium.

I am getting a Tikka T3X 300 mag, Leupold VX-6 42 mm 2-12x scope. Can I use low rings or do I need medium? What do you think about the DNZ mounts? Do you like the CDS?

I am looking for hunting, large game - and I want something simple not worried about 1/2" off - think elk size game at 500 yards.

I've mounted several 42mm Leupold's on Tikkas with Low rings - Talley and DNZ. I use mostly Talley, but both are fine.

CDS is awesome. Shoot a range and verify your actual drops before getting the free dial cut, if you plan on shooting past 500yd or so. Within 500 just give Leupold the bullet, BC, velocity, elevation, and temp. Their numbers have always come out close enough for me. I've had a LOT of dials cut!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.