Low Power scope for 338LM???

AKdan

Hello,

I am building a 338LM for hunting(0-1200yrds) and Long range shooting(as far as I can).
I am looking for a scope that will satisfy my needs. I live and hunt in Alaska for all species we have. My personal favorite rifle to use is the .375 H&H but it has its long range limitations hence the 338LM. My hunting buddies are also amused( usually not at the time) for my uncanny ability to find ursus extemeus meanus, usually at close range. The most recent encounter ended at about 2-3 yards and nothing but brown in my 4-16 scope, my shorts, and some really loud noises.

I am tempted to try a scope in the 2-10 range. My last 338 LM had a 5.5-22 NF that I loved. I found 5.5x was a little high for close range work, but the 22x was very nice for LR stuff. the 3.5-15 even seemed a little high on the low end. I have used a 3-12 for game out to 600+ yrds, but the cross hairs on that particular scope were a little thick and I have not found many LR scopes in that magnification range.The smaller /lower power scopes tend to be a lot lighter as well. I should also say that I like the 1/4 MOA exposed turrets, MOA reticle as well. Most of my buddies shoot with MOA reticles and it makes it way easier to call shots when i am using the same thing.

Does anyone use their LR guns with a low power scope? If yes, what were your reasons for doing so? Is it worth it to trade off magnification for low end magnification and weight?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Give the Leupold VX-6 3-18 a look. Even at 25yds the 3x is just fine. If you run into something horrible closer than that it doesn't really matter. I just sight along the edge of the barrel when the target is that close.

A 2 or 2.5-10 will get the job done for you on larger targets but it's a little lean at long range on anything smaller than a deer.

I have the VX6 in both 3-18x50 and 4-24x50 and I'm extremely impressed with them.

Something you might consider which would solve your whole problem is just to add a prismatic reflex sight on above or beside your LR scope. That would be the cheapest solution by far.

Thanks for the replies. Those March scopes are pretty amazing. They are definitely on the outskirts of the budget. I will be saving for one for sure. One of their scopes may make my spotting scope obsolete.

I like the idea of a prismatic sight. That is a great idea. Even a 4 power scope can be a bit much at extreme close ranges.

Problem solved.......new problem created. too many options.

Another vote for the March 2.5-25, it has a 42 ft. field of view at 100 yds. I have one on my 338LM. On my short range hog rifle I use a Leupold Delta Point on top of my scope. The scope is a Trijicon 1-4 and I first thought I didn't need anything else on a one power scope but the Delta Point is definitely faster at close range. Hard to beat inside 50 yards.

Hers a few that would work, I hunt alot of grizz area here.NF 3.5-15X50,USO 3.2-17x44,IOR 3.5-18X50,Bushnell 3.5-21x50,March also

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.