Scope Base opinions for 338LM

gpower77

Picked up a Savage 112 Magnum Target the other day and now looking at bases and scopes. Range of shooting will be 100-1500 yrds, and mainly 300-1000 yrds. Using either a nightforce NXS 5x22-56 or a NXS 8x32x56 with MOAR reticle. I can get 20, 30, 40 moa base, just want to be sure I get the right one. Most guys seem to use the 20moa base, but never see what magnification their scope is, or what they are using exactly.

So if I wanted to shoot at 100 yrds, and then go out to 1500 yards with either of these scopes, what would be the best base moa is my question. Using a 250 grain bullet, possibly 300 grain also.

Thanks

First off, welcome to the forum there is an incredible amount of information here and a good group of people! Good choice on the Savage 112 .338 LM, I am actually looking at getting one of those myself!

As for your question, I am sure you already know with the big Savages you are kind of limited to scope base offerings. EGW and Farrell both make bases for these rifles with the machining edge going to Farrell. As a general rule per EGW's site a 0 MOA base is good for 0-600 yards, and a 20 MOA base is good for up to about a 1,000 yards, obviously dependent on caliber. The only thing a higher moa base will do for you is give you more elevation out of your scope. If it was me, I would go with either a 20 or 30 MOA Farrell base for this rifle, hope this helps, good luck!

lv2hunt

A Nightforce NXS has 100 MOA total travel (50 up and 50 down). However you cannot rely on that when mounting your scope. Not all mounts/receivers are exactly level. So I usually deduct about 5 moa from the amount available, which would give you about 45 moa of dial up.

Consulting a ballistics app: shooting a 250 gr. Berger hunting bullet at 3,000 fps at 4,500 elevation; 45 moa should get you out to about 1600 yds. Adding a 20 moa rail/base will add roughly another 400 yds - or out to 2,000 yds.

Also: don't forget that you have another 20 moa of 'holdover' in your scope reticle as well.

Thanks for the replies, I wound up doing a ballistics calculator like you mentioned and came up with about the same numbers. I found the Farrell website the other day also, and what they had to offer. Looks like a good choice.

I have about decided to go with an 5x25x56 ATACR nightforce scope now, with more moa travel for elevation also.

At the moment I will have to rob a bank to buy the scope!!

Ill keep ya'll in the loop,

Thanks!

Got the Farrell 20 moa base and the nightforce 5x25x56 atacr scope. The Farrell base is plenty high, using 1.125 rings, the scope sits a good 1/2 above the barrel at the objective end. Going to try the 1.00 mediums, as this is the lowest I can find in the 34mm ring size. The laminate stock on the 112 has basically no cheek weld at this height, so its not comfortable to use. Anyone else using the Farrell base and what ring height combo worked the best? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.